Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-22-2022, 02:32 PM   #1
Platsir
Platsir began at the beginning.

Device: none
Talking EPUB flipping from right to left ( RTL )

Hello,

I'm creating Arabic Epub e-Books, everything is good but the pages are flipping from left to right (LTR).

the Question how to Makes the EPUB e-Books as in (RTL) and will flipping from right to left (RTL).

Last edited by Platsir; 03-22-2022 at 02:37 PM.
Platsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:47 AM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
You have to add
Code:
page-progression-direction="rtl"
to the spine of your OPF. This only works for ePub 3 btw and not all readers support it.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2022, 08:50 AM   #3
Platsir

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
You have to add
Code:
page-progression-direction="rtl"
to the spine of your OPF. This only works for ePub 3 btw and not all readers support it.
Thank you, is Kobo supporting RTL ?
Old 03-23-2022, 10:24 AM   #4
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platsir View Post
Thank you, is Kobo supporting RTL ?
Yes, but IIRC only in the Kepub renderer and not the RMSDK ePub one. Could be wrong on that as it's been a while since I tested and I no longer have a Kobo.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:36 AM   #5
Platsir

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Yes, but IIRC only in the Kepub renderer and not the RMSDK ePub one. Could be wrong on that as it's been a while since I tested and I no longer have a Kobo.

Advert
Old 03-23-2022, 02:07 PM   #6
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's also the dir attribute. I don't know if it's only EPUB3 or not.

https://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_global_dir.asp
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:44 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
There's also the dir attribute. I don't know if it's only EPUB3 or not.

https://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_global_dir.asp
Yes, text direction is ePub 3 only. ePub 2 does not support specifying the text direction.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 04:25 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, text direction is ePub 3 only. ePub 2 does not support specifying the text direction.
You're wrong. page-progression-direction="rtl" is an epub3-only spine attribute, however, the dir attribute can also be used in epub2/XHTML files.
Unfortunately, there are no widely used epub2 apps that support RTL books and even if they supported the dir attribute, it would have no effect on page flipping.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:43 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You're wrong. page-progression-direction="rtl" is an epub3-only spine attribute, however, the dir attribute can also be used in epub2/XHTML files.
Unfortunately, there are no widely used epub2 apps that support RTL books and even if they supported the dir attribute, it would have no effect on page flipping.
Where does it say that any of this applies to ePub 2? All I see is that it's the XHTML 1.1 spec. I've never read of ePub 2 using dir or seen it any ePub 2 eBook. I;m still going with what I said unless I see it shown that dir is part of ePub 2 and not just XHTML 1.1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 12:21 PM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Where does it say that any of this applies to ePub 2? All I see is that it's the XHTML 1.1 spec. I've never read of ePub 2 using dir or seen it any ePub 2 eBook. I;m still going with what I said unless I see it shown that dir is part of ePub 2 and not just XHTML 1.1.
As many of your posts have repeatedly shown, you're obviously not familiar with the EPUB 2.0.1 specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDPF
EPUB 2.0.1 is defined by three open standard specifications, the Open Publication Structure (OPS), Open Packaging Format (OPF) and Open Container Format (OCF)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDPF
Open Publication Structure (OPS) 2.0.1

Relationship to Other Specifications

This specification combines subsets and applications of other specifications. Together, these facilitate the construction, organization, presentation, and unambiguous interchange of electronic documents:
  1. Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 (Fourth Edition) specification (http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/); and
  2. Namespaces in XML 1.0 (Second Edition) (http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/); and
  3. Document Object Model (Core) Level 1 (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-DOM-Level-1...ne-core.html); and
  4. XML Pointer Framework (http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/); and
  5. XHTML™ 1.1 - Module-based XHTML - Second Edition specification (http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/);
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote