Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-14-2022, 02:41 AM   #1
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Troublesome epub for the kids

I've downloaded a nice book for my daughter with little text and a lot of pictures. However, I have trouble displaying it on her Kobo Glo and my Onyx Boox Note Pro. The book is reupped [deleted]

So it doesn't display well on Linux for mupdf and Calibre 5.xxx, too. After conversion to PDF, the images display correctly, but the text is lost. However, Sigil and another ePub editor do display it prefectly in their preview.
So I rebooted to Windows 10 and Calibre 4.xx does display it correctly. MuPDF is still a rather sorry affair. Conversion to PDF with Calibre stays stuck at 47%, though.

I've ran into this kind of trouble before. I then take out all the images and create a cbz-file (zipped container for all the images) and reading goes fine. However, in this ePub the text is not part of the image, so it's lost. (A clue for what happened to the Calibre 5.x conversion, too.)

Does anyone have an inkling as what may be causing it and how to alleviate it?

Last edited by Jellby; 02-14-2022 at 03:08 AM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 03:08 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Moderator Notice
Please do not provide links to copyrighted material (without permission)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2022, 03:24 AM   #3
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Sorry. If someone is willing, please PM me for a link.

Calibre crashes with:
Code:
Converting input as a text based book...
Python function terminated unexpectedly
  [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'C:\\Users\\Debiel\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_iuphap\\whccep_plumber\\OEBPS/Fonts/f140.otf' (Error Code: 1)
 Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site.py", line 114, in main
  File "site.py", line 88, in run_entry_point
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 209, in main
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 43, in gui_convert_override
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 28, in gui_convert
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 1275, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\pdf_output.py", line 188, in convert
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\pdf_output.py", line 237, in convert_text
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\pdf_output.py", line 208, in process_fonts
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\base.py", line 1035, in data
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\base.py", line 580, in read
  File "site-packages\calibre\startup.py", line 169, in local_open
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'C:\\Users\\Debiel\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_iuphap\\whccep_plumber\\OEBPS/Fonts/f140.otf'
Looking at the ePub, I see a lot of hardcoded lengths and widths and absolute positions. I would have to filter all those out and replace them with the exact screensize of my ereader or with relative sizes. It's really stupid. But it also explains why it doesn't work.

Last edited by Markismus; 02-14-2022 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:50 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
export it as either docx or rtf and edit styles.

Perhaps it's intended as fixed layout, but conversion to PDF is rarely useful. I make PDFs only for paper / POD or big tablets and direct from the wordprocessor, though the Calibre viewer "print" creates decent PDF files from anything sensibly displayed in it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:44 AM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Looking at the ePub, I see a lot of hardcoded lengths and widths and absolute positions. I would have to filter all those out and replace them with the exact screensize of my ereader or with relative sizes. It's really stupid. But it also explains why it doesn't work.
That is a fixed layout EPUB. That format is not supported by calibre.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2022, 12:56 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Only really works on big eink or a big tablet with an app.

Really if something doesn't work as a real reflowable ebook they should pay for an app. PDFs, fixed epub etc are horrible to read electronically.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 05:06 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That is a fixed layout EPUB. That format is not supported by calibre.
Yup, took the words right out of my mouth. Not convertible to any other realistic format.

Fixed-layout ebooks only work on the devices for which they are specifically designed. If you have a Kobo, buy it on Kobo. If you have an iOS tablet, buy it on the Apple store. If you have a Kindle or Kindle reader, buy it there.

Don't try to move files from A to B. In the world of fixed-layout it simply does not work. Everything is set in X-Y coordinates targeted to a specific device, screen resolution, screen size, etc. It's ...it's not reverse-engineer-able.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 05:50 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Kobo's ereaders support fixed layout epub3 ebooks but you will need to have them on the ereader as filename.kepub.epub for newer firmware and filename.fxl.kepub.epub for older firmware. See Kobolabs on Github at Fixed Layout (FXL) Support. The issue I find with FLO epubs is much the same as with PDF in that if you don't have a large enough screen, the text is too small to view if the epub was not designed for a smaller screen device.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:19 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Kobo's ereaders support fixed layout epub3 ebooks but you will need to have them on the ereader as filename.kepub.epub for newer firmware and filename.fxl.kepub.epub for older firmware. See Kobolabs on Github at Fixed Layout (FXL) Support. The issue I find with FLO epubs is much the same as with PDF in that if you don't have a large enough screen, the text is too small to view if the epub was not designed for a smaller screen device.
Yes and if some dunderhead did it, it could not zoom properly, either. And trust me, boys and girls, Dunderheads abound in the world of eBook formatting! It's Dunder-riffic!

Hitch
Old 02-26-2022, 09:08 AM   #10
Markismus
Guru

Thanks for the replies. I didn't get any emails, so I'm just now catching up.

Never heard about fixed layout epub before. I was wondering how you could relativize all the coordinates. Got rather confused.

However, with Perl is should be relatively easy to take inventory of the scales used and rescale to another fixed ePub.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:18 AM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Thanks for the replies. I didn't get any emails, so I'm just now catching up.

Never heard about fixed layout epub before. I was wondering how you could relativize all the coordinates. Got rather confused.

However, with Perl is should be relatively easy to take inventory of the scales used and rescale to another fixed ePub.
So....your theory is that the new device, and the originally-intended device, have precisely--and I mean, precisely--the identical pixel-to-pixel, height-to-width aspect ratio?

Hitch
Old 02-28-2022, 11:28 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes and if some dunderhead did it, it could not zoom properly, either. And trust me, boys and girls, Dunderheads abound in the world of eBook formatting! It's Dunder-riffic!

Hitch
That's being rather kind to some of the blunders out there for eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote