Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
jekoby
jekoby began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Is it a bug or is it me?

Ever since a couple of updates back the "Generate Cover" button in the Edit Meta Data cover section does not produce correct covers - it spells everything wrong like the image below. I don't know if it's a bug, or if there is something I don't have set right. It used to work perfectly - now it's having some kind of melt down! It does it on every cover I've tried to use it for. Any help would be most appreciated!

[IMG][/IMG]
jekoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoby View Post
Ever since a couple of updates back the "Generate Cover" button in the Edit Meta Data cover section does not produce correct covers - it spells everything wrong like the image below.
Just to clarify: that should read Fear the Worst by Linwood Barclay. Both the title and author name are messed up.
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I don't know if it's a bug, or if there is something I don't have set right. It used to work perfectly - now it's having some kind of melt down! It does it on every cover I've tried to use it for. Any help would be most appreciated!
It would seem to be a bug, but it isn't happening on my machine.

What Operating System do you use?
What is the version of calibre that you use?

Try going to Preferences - Look and Feel and changing the interface font to something generic like Ariel and see if that helps.

Also there is a Generate Cover GUI Plugin you might want to try.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
jekoby

Quote:
Just to clarify: that should read Fear the Worst by Linwood Barclay. Both the title and author name are messed up.
Sorry - yes, that is what it should read, and it's messing up both title and author.

Quote:
What Operating System do you use?
What is the version of calibre that you use?

Try going to Preferences - Look and Feel and changing the interface font to something generic like Ariel and see if that helps.
I'm using Windows Vista
Calibre is version 7.52 (but it's done this through a few updates now - just not sure exactly when it started)

I tried changing the font to Ariel (and a couple other common ones) but it still messes the cover up. It leaves letters out, but it seems to really have trouble with "t" and "s" - very weird. I just tried it on the book: Sudden The Marshal of Lawless, by Oliver Strange and got:

Sdden The Marshal of Laless by Srange, Olier (and all of the small "s" have little devil tails on them like the "s" in the photo.)

Quote:
Also there is a Generate Cover GUI Plugin you might want to try.
I had downloaded this earlier today and kept getting error messages when I tried to use it, but now, after restarting a few times changing the fonts - it appears to be working. It is even putting the correct title and author in, so if all else fails, I can play around with this and see what it can do. Before I wasn't able to get it to even open the cover options box but I can now. Hopefully, what ever is causing the other issue will get resolved at some point - as long as I have some what to generate a cover, I can get by.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 03-29-2011, 12:39 AM   #5
lgladen
lgladen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgladen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgladen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: evo
I would also run chkdsk on your drive, if I were you - it could be corruption in the system files causing the issue. I would run the full surface check to make sure that your drive is not failing.
lgladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 04:22 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I suspect that you have some corrupted fonts on your system.

Also:
Check your 'Tweak' settings:
# Specify which font to use when generating a default cover
You may hav an 'odd' font chosen (or the one that was, is no longer on your system)

NOTE: Chkdsk only checks for damaged filesystem structure, not for corrupted/infested file content.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
jekoby

Quote:
I suspect that you have some corrupted fonts on your system.

Also:
Check your 'Tweak' settings:
You may hav an 'odd' font chosen (or the one that was, is no longer on your system)
I am pretty clueless about the tweak part of Calibre, but this is what is listed for the cover tweak (I have no idea how to change any of this ) :

Quote:

generate_cover_foot_font = None

generate_cover_title_font = None
At the top it say something about the default font being Liberation
Serif - is there some way to check to see if I have that font? Or to change the "none" in the tweak to something I know I do have, like Ariel or Courier? Maybe that would be a place to start?

for the help!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I am pretty clueless about the tweak part of Calibre, but this is what is listed for the cover tweak (I have no idea how to change any of this ) :

At the top it say something about the default font being Liberation
Serif - is there some way to check to see if I have that font? Or to change the "none" in the tweak to something I know I do have, like Ariel or Courier? Maybe that would be a place to start?

for the help!
None is what I use
Just make (edit) the tweak value follow the examples format

The next place to check is What font Calibre uses (for all) .
That is under Look and Feel
I use: Liberation Sans (I had problems when my little fingers changed this to a different font that had 'issues'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
jekoby

Quote:
The next place to check is What font Calibre uses (for all) .
That is under Look and Feel
I use: Liberation Sans (I had problems when my little fingers changed this to a different font that had 'issues'
Well now - I don't appear to have ANY Liberation fonts - I don't have Liberation serif or Liberation sans listed anywhere in my choices for fonts under "look and feel". Maybe that is my problem?? Is there a simple way to add them to the available fonts? I see they are available for download on the net, but have no idea what I would do with them once I downloaded them!

I currently have my font set at Arial - unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to what it was before I started changing it to try and fix the cover issue - but it for sure wasn't a Liberation font, since they aren't there! LOL
Old 03-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The liberation fonts are shipped with calibre. You will find them in the calibre installation folder.

I must say, I have no idea why the Liberation fonts aren't being rendered correctly on your system. I'd suggest an uninstall, delete c:\program files\calibre2 and re-install to make sure any corrupted files are removed.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
jekoby

I just did a restore default and this is what it put it back to as a default font:

MS Shell Dlg 2 [8pt]

Is that correct?

I found all of the Liberation fonts in a folder at C:\Program Files\Calibre2\resources\fonts\liberation but the do not show up as a choice in the list when you select "Change Font" under "look and feel"

I'm confused now (not that that is really unusual!)
Old 03-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #12
jekoby

I'll try an uninstall and reinstall and see if that fixes it - Thanks!
Old 03-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The font in Preferences->Look & Feel doesn't matter.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #14
jekoby

Talking

The uninstall/reinstall seems to have worked - my covers are being generated correctly now - YEAH!! all of you for all your help - I really appreciate it, and I really do LOVE this program. And this board - every time I've asked a question on here someone has tried to help and been extremely nice about it - and I really do appreciate that too. Thanks again!