Notices

Old 01-21-2016, 04:51 PM   #1
rewyn
Miskatonic U. Class of 97
rewyn began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle, Nook,
Free Open Type font to embed Chinese characters

Greetings members,

I recently am converting a book which has Eastern language within it particularly Chinese. Does anyone know an Open Type font which I could embed in the CSS to code the kanji correctly?

Thanks in advance for looking.
rewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:58 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewyn View Post
Greetings members,

I recently am converting a book which has Eastern language within it particularly Chinese. Does anyone know an Open Type font which I could embed in the CSS to code the kanji correctly?

Thanks in advance for looking.
I believe Ubuntu and many other Linux distros come with fonts for all (common ) languages.

Kill 2 birds with on OS
Learn Linux and do your book (Calibre and Sigil also run on Linux)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2016, 09:30 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
This Wikipedia entry has long list of free Japanese fonts.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
rewyn
Miskatonic U. Class of 97
rewyn began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle, Nook,
Thanks for viewing and responding, but Ubuntu, does not have Chinese characters. Thanks Doitsu, that's somewhere to start.
rewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:10 AM   #5
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
@rewyn --- does it have to be Open Type Font (.otf) ?
Jellby found me this batch of Chinese fonts, but they are all True Type (ttf). Worked fine for the project I was doing.

Give a look at the Wang Fonts page (zip contains over 30 fonts, different weights and styles, average 6 ~ 9 mb each)
https://code.google.com/archive/p/wangfonts/
I used HanWang_002.

The fonts are quite large, but most Asian fonts seem to be huge --- subsetting can save some file-size. (in Calibre, or with Toxaris' "Epub Optimizer" plugin for Sigil https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=252010)
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
chinese characters, embed fonts, epub 2, language