Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
allanahk
Connoisseur
allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Remove thumbnails from Calibre Catalog?

I want to make a catalog of all my books in calibre in MOBI format so that it appears as a periodical on my Kindle. However when I do so the thumbnail book covers overlap with other text making it unreadable. I've tested with azw3 format and that doesn't have the same issue, but then it's not in periodical format. I tried to decrease the thumbnail size but it seems the smallest is 1 inch. Is there a way to decrease the size or just remove the thumbnails altogether?
Thanks guys
allanahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:00 PM   #2
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Kludge suggestion; what about generating it in the azw3 format and then using calibre's converter and converting the azw3 to mobi?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #3
allanahk
Connoisseur
allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Kludge suggestion; what about generating it in the azw3 format and then using calibre's converter and converting the azw3 to mobi?
I think that would probably save it in book format rather than as a periodical, but I'll test it out when I get home anyway - thanks for the suggestion
Old 05-20-2019, 10:08 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
how are you making the catalog in periodical format?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:12 PM   #5
allanahk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
how are you making the catalog in periodical format?
I've set the calibre output preferences to Kindle Voyage, then I just convert a selection of books into a MOBI catalog and the Kindle reads it as a periodical
Advert
Old 05-20-2019, 10:15 PM   #6
allanahk
Connoisseur

Also I used to have a Kindle paperwhite and the periodical catalogs were displayed fine on that, so it could be that it's a Kindle Voyage issue
Old 05-21-2019, 04:51 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry I dont have any insight to offer, I dont deal the catalog code. I can tell you that you cannot convert to azw3 and then MOBI that will lose periodical formatting. Sadly amazon only supports periodical formatting for MOBI, not azw3
Old 05-21-2019, 05:49 AM   #8
allanahk
Connoisseur

Update: I've managed to remove the thumbnails completely by using a custom catalog template file (following instructions in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=118556). I just removed the text {thumb} from the default template and generated a new catalog with no thumbnails - I think I actually prefer it this way as the covers were always quite small and didn't look great on a black and white Kindle screen anyway.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:04 AM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I am curious. What is the advantage of having the catalog be in periodical format?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I am curious. What is the advantage of having the catalog be in periodical format?
Off the top of my head, easy filtering.

How do you change a catalog to periodical format anyway? Is it just as simple as changing MOBI to POBI or does it use a different tag (e.g. [EBOK], [PDOC])? I tend to generate EPUB catalog and then convert to MOBI because I copy the catalog to the iPad, as well.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:03 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There is a bunch of internal stuff in the MOBI file that makes it a periodical. Simply changing the extension is not sufficient.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #12
allanahk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
For me it's easier to navigate, it appears in the periodical section on Kindle so I can find it easily rather than trudging through my library, and it doesn't have a percentage read like a book file (which always used to really irritate me)
Old 05-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #13
allanahk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Off the top of my head, easy filtering.

How do you change a catalog to periodical format anyway? Is it just as simple as changing MOBI to POBI or does it use a different tag (e.g. [EBOK], [PDOC])? I tend to generate EPUB catalog and then convert to MOBI because I copy the catalog to the iPad, as well.
As far as I know you need to set your output preference to Kindle and then generate as MOBI - converting from EPUB or AZW3 to MOBI doesn't work. I don't know how calibre does it though
Old 05-21-2019, 04:25 PM   #14
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanahk View Post
For me it's easier to navigate, it appears in the periodical section on Kindle so I can find it easily rather than trudging through my library
That's a really great reason, all by itself.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalog