Notices

Old 12-25-2014, 01:00 AM   #1
Kritz
Reader
Kritz began at the beginning.

Device: Surface 3/Win 8.1
Import Calibre library into Win 8.1 eReader

Calibre's built-in connection to iTunes has made it easy to:

Add Books > Connect to iTunes > Send to Device > and then (from within iTunes) move the books to my (aging) iPad where iBooks recognises them.

Now I have a new Surface 3 tablet, so I need to replicate this functionality in Windows 8.1.

Unfortunately, for all its other virtues, Calibre is not a very good platform for actually reading ebooks, so I need to find a Win 8.1 equivalent to iBooks. I'm hoping for the simplicity and elegance of iBooks, but I'll settle for readability, if that's all I can get.

However, there's ONE FEATURE I CAN'T DO WITHOUT: being able to import my entire 1300-volume Calibre library into the new eReader. I'd settle for a batch import (based on an the ability to search my Calibre folder), even if that didn't yield a catalog that had everything I liked about iBooks.

I've looked at some of the newer eReaders (IceCream and Bookviser), as well as a few of the older stalwarts. Some are OK but they can't import as a batch.

I'm stumped. I can't import 1300 books by hand, nor do I want to give up Calibre's superb indexing and metadata handling capabilities.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.
Kritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:20 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
This is more of a Related Tools subforum question, I think.

And in fact, there is a sticky there for: Minimalist Windows App for Calibre

It should act as a frontend for calibre's database and launch books via whatever configured reader you have.
calibre could do that also if you go to Preferences ==> Behavior and uncheck formats that you do not want calibre's ebook-viewer to handle. However, Marty_B's app should be more tablet-friendly.

Hope this helps. It isn't exactly what you asked for (a way to add books en masse to a reading app) but it does perform the same general function in a different way -- kind of like Calibre Companion for Android.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-02-2015 at 12:23 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2015, 06:26 AM   #3
Kritz
Reader
Kritz began at the beginning.

Device: Surface 3/Win 8.1
Tried the Calibre Viewer program and it does just what I need done. Thanks for the tip!
Kritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Awesome! Happy to help.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batch, catalog, import, windows 8.1