Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
Aurora13
Enthusiast
Aurora13 began at the beginning.

Device: IPod, Sony PRS-350
Bebook Club or Cybook Opus?

I have been researching ereaders for a couple of weeks now and I'm still not sure which one to get. I would like it to be simple (Wifi and touchscreen are not important) and easy to use, with a crisp and clear screen.

When I first starting looking I thought the Sony prs 305 would be nice but then discovered the Bebook club and Opus which are a bit cheaper. I don't mind spending the extra money if the quality is better but I'm not sure which to choose.

Any help, advice and or opinion would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Christie
Aurora13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora13 View Post
I have been researching ereaders for a couple of weeks now and I'm still not sure which one to get. I would like it to be simple (Wifi and touchscreen are not important) and easy to use, with a crisp and clear screen.

When I first starting looking I thought the Sony prs 305 would be nice but then discovered the Bebook club and Opus which are a bit cheaper. I don't mind spending the extra money if the quality is better but I'm not sure which to choose.

Any help, advice and or opinion would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Christie
Hi. The Opus is an excellent machine. Simple but one of the best epub readers and very natural to hold in your hand...also simple and intuitive to use.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
When it comes to Bebook readers, all of them seem like little toyish. Cybook Opus is so light is is a joy to hold in your hand, but is also all plastic.

SOny PRS-350 is something more solid and more quality. It also has teh E-Ink Pearl display which in my opinion is worth getting compared to Vizplex screens in Bebook and Booken readers. And once you get in touch with the touch screen you hate using buttons. Trust me.

I am saving up to get Sony PRS-350 myself and would nto concider either Bebook or Cybook Opus.
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:36 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
The be-book i don't know it at all, so I can't juge.

The sony, as mentioned, have a better screen, and, after the experience with the orizon, tactile is rather nice to use.

On the plus side for the opus, the price. It's light, and have folder support. Though the last point is a personal preference. The sony will use collections.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 04-10-2011 at 05:49 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
Aurora13
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I think I am now more interested in the Sony prs 350 or maybe just maybe I will splurge and get the prs650.....is the bigger screen worth the extra cost?
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In my opinion, not really. WHy would you want even more text on one page when you can flip pages. In turn, with PRS-350 you get pocketable size and very light reader in your hand
Old 04-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I think I am now more interested in the Sony prs 350 or maybe just maybe I will splurge and get the prs650.....is the bigger screen worth the extra cost?
Not for me. I have both and as I read one handed lying in bed or on the couch, I like the 350 better. It is easier to hold in one hand. Also wev are talking about three lines of text per page. The 650 is even more solid than the 350 and I trust it will work forever.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Having tried both 5" and 6", i like 6" better. Though I sometimes miss the lightness provided by the 5".
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
Aurora13
Enthusiast

Thanks to everyone for their input, it has helped me make my decision! Finally! It will be the Sony prs-350....can't wait to get it and start reading
Old 04-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
spaze
Addict

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for their input, it has helped me make my decision! Finally! It will be the Sony prs-350....can't wait to get it and start reading
Private me when you get it and tell me your experiences with it
Old 04-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile

Well done - let us all know- I'm on the cusp of talking myself into a 350 too - sheer indulgence, as I already have the 650, which is terrific, but I keep looking at the 350 and trying to find an excuse to buy one !
It just looks so cute and, well, pockety !

Wonder if it could be a legitimate business expense ?

did that with the 650.........................

Last edited by carpetmojo; 04-10-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: typo
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, carpetmojo, I did that with 350 (I had an Opus and a Gen3) and now I'm thinking about 650 . Anyway, between Opus and 350, I like 350 the best because it's lighter.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote