Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-26-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
Yako
Yako began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Gen 8
Unhappy [MacOS] Save question marks and ellipses on disk

Hi all. I have not been able to find the right thread because I do not speak English (this is a translation from Spanish) and I have a question that I hope will not be repeated. In the forum in Spanish I have not been able to solve it.

I work with Caliber for Mac and I want to save my caliber library on disk and use this simple save template:

{authors}/{series}/{title}/{title} - {authors}

Does the saved as I like it and goes almost all good except with the interrogations (?) And ellipsis (...). The problem is that as caliber cleans and cleans some special characters of titles, such as bars and some others, when I try to save a title with question marks or ellipses (there are!) I replaced them with underscores, for example the title :

"Hello? Friends... - John Kindle.mobi" would keep it as "Hello_ Friends_ . John Kindle.mobi".

What do I have to modify in the template so that this does not happen? Thank you.

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-27-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Yako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:04 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You can't.
The reason Calibre does this is because those characters are not valid for file names.
Additionaly:
? is the wildcard for a single character match.
* is the match anything wild card.
: is a special character to seperate devices eg C:, COM1:
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2019, 06:42 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Yako - how is the disk you are saving to formatted?

If its a thumb drive it may be FAT32 in which case the characters .|\?*<":>/ are reserved. Calibre will substitute an underscore '_' for those when you Save to (a FAT formatted) Disk.

And is the ellipsis a real one or three dots? Even on Windows you can use a real ellipsis, but not three dots.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:31 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Since calibre is designed to work on multiple operating systems, it avoids using special characters from any of the supported operating systems. You might want to check Wikipedia's Filename entry with attention to the Reserved characters and words section on.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:41 AM   #5
Yako

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Yako - how is the disk you are saving to formatted?

If its a thumb drive it may be FAT32 in which case the characters .|\?*<":>/ are reserved. Calibre will substitute an underscore '_' for those when you Save to (a FAT formatted) Disk.

And is the ellipsis a real one or three dots? Even on Windows you can use a real ellipsis, but not three dots.

BR
No. I work in mac environment and I save in external hard drive connected by usb, yes, but the disk is not formatted in Fat 32, it is in Mac format. The ellipsis are three real points and two of them transforms them into a script low and the other leaves it like this (...) (_.)
Advert
Old 06-27-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
Yako

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Since calibre is designed to work on multiple operating systems, it avoids using special characters from any of the supported operating systems. You might want to check Wikipedia's Filename entry with attention to the Reserved characters and words section on.
I take a look. Thank you
Old 06-27-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yako View Post
No. I work in mac environment and I save in external hard drive connected by usb, yes, but the disk is not formatted in Fat 32, it is in Mac format. The ellipsis are three real points and two of them transforms them into a script low and the other leaves it like this (...) (_.)
_. is what happens on Windows with dot, dot, dot

You can use the MacOS Disk Utility to find out which file system the drive is formatted to use -

I thought calibre's Save to Disk conformed to the target file system in respect to allowable characters, file name lengths etc. And in HFS+ anything but NUL is allowable. My Linux laptop died so I only have Windows.

What happens if you do a Save to Disk to the system drive.

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-27-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:47 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use an actual ellipsis character instead of three dots and you will be fine.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #9
Yako

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
_. is what happens on Windows with dot, dot, dot

You can use the MacOS Disk Utility to find out which file system the drive is formatted to use -

I thought calibre's Save to Disk conformed to the target file system in respect to allowable characters, file name lengths etc. And in HFS+ anything but NUL is allowable. My Linux laptop died so I only have Windows.

What happens if you do a Save to Disk to the system drive.
USB external physical volume • Mac OS Plus (uppercase / small, with registration)

This is the external hard drive format where I keep

APFS volume • APFS

And this is the internal disk format of the mac

I tried to save in the intern and the exact same thing happens:
? = _
¿ = _
...a = _.a
a... = a._
! ¡ = ! ¡ (This is fine)

I think it has no solution and I do not want to bother anymore. Thanks for bothering to answer me.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:33 PM   #10
Yako

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What is a real ellipsis carater? or which could be used to simulate the three points (...) is used in Spanish, I do not know if in English these three points are used.
The fact is that books have titles like this for example:

¿Amnesia ...?.mobi and returns this _Amnesia_._.mobi

The truth is that writers title books as they want, of course, and we can not do anything with that. I have more than a thousand books with a mixture of these types of characters that are going to be saved badly.
What strikes me is that it has imported them well with all the correct characters in my language (es)
Old 06-27-2019, 03:34 PM   #11
Yako

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
By the way, greetings to the creator of Caliber. Thank you for creating it.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:03 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
What is a real ellipsis carater? or which could be used to simulate the three points (...) is used in Spanish, I do not know if in English these three points are used.
This: …
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:46 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

FWIW - on Windows I can save this book:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-06-28 083249.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	172142

With this template {authors} - {title},

And get this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-06-28 081218.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	172141

FTR the library filename is: _Hello_. World! - Anat Admati.epub

I must admit to being confused: I've always thought file naming rules were less restrictive on MacOS than on Windows because of its Unix heritage. Windows inherited its conventions from DOS/CPM/RT-11.

But I also thought Apple's file system was known as HFS+ - is APFS just a new badge for HFS+, or something entirely different, like MS's ReFS.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-27-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:02 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
The fact is that books have titles like this for example:

¿Amnesia ...?.mobi and returns this _Amnesia_._.mobi

The truth is that writers title books as they want, of course, and we can not do anything with that. I have more than a thousand books with a mixture of these types of characters that are going to be saved badly.
What strikes me is that it has imported them well with all the correct characters in my language (es)
&helip; (don't ask me how to find this in the Windows character map tool )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:04 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
&helip; (don't ask me how to find this in the Windows character map tool )
My AHK Script to type an ellipsis in Windows -- anytime, anywhere.

Code:
^!.::             ;ctrl+alt+. - hat and bang signify ctrl and alt
Send …
return
BR