Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
new PRS505. Some interesting (and some annoying) findings

I've went for a flashvisit to america and saw the PRS505 at borders. Couldn't resist to take it home

As I'm your non-regular reader (as I convert/create large manga-lrfs) I've noticed some things for the PRS505 that others might have missed.

First thing, the PRS505 can indeed read MS-pro sticks beyond 2GB in contrast to the PRS500. But it's very very very slow after it reaches the 2GB boundary. It takes ages for a book of 25MB to load up. (I stopped watching the screen after 5 minutes).
I suspect that placing the files through the Sony-Readerprogram does NOT preformat the files for the reader.

The speed of the SD-card reader also seems to be slower than the PRS500. It takes twice as long before the same file on the same card is loaded.

Uploading LRF-files through the readersoftware onto the memstick or SD does not seem to preformat the books.
Uploading LRF-files with the readersoftware to a SD-reader DOES preformat the files.

I don't find the vizplex screen to be much faster than the classic screen. But the contrast is indeed much better (main reason for me to go for the newer version, even though I've said that I'll get the 3rd generation version)
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The specs for my 505 said that up to a 4GB Pro Duo stick is supported.

Bummer to hear 'bout the speed issues.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
The specs for my 505 said that up to a 4GB Pro Duo stick is supported.
Actually it supports up to an 8GB stick (& a 2GB SD Card).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
It seems that the sony reader is suffering from the same fat32-limitations as the PSP.

After using this trick: http://hightech.afmag.net/make-4gb-m...n-default.html the speed of my 4GB card is on par with the 1GB ones.

Well, at least sony is consistent with their errors....
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote