Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-29-2018, 05:57 AM   #1
Zuell
Zuell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Split screen Kindle Paperwhite

Hello,

To learn languages I normally have the same book in two languages (one I master other that I am currently learning) and jump between them.
This is quite tiresome to do.
So the question is, is it possible to split the screen and read two books at the same time?

I have a Kindle Paperwhite (Firmware version Kindle 5.8.10)

I have already looked for it everywhere so I suppose it is a feature that is not available, but worth the try.

Thanks!
Zuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, it isn't. If, however, you were to use a tablet rather than your Paperwhite, you could then run the Kindle App alongside some other app, and see both simultaneously. You can do this on an iPad; I'm sure that Android tablets offer a similar capability.

Or you could simply use two separate reading devices, of course.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-29-2018 at 06:39 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2018, 08:47 AM   #3
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have two Paperwhites which cost less than one Oasis 2.

You didn't mention the languages, I'll assume one is English, but Amazon sells bilingual books for the Kindles.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:42 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I have two Paperwhites which cost less than one Oasis 2.

You didn't mention the languages, I'll assume one is English, but Amazon sells bilingual books for the Kindles.
I think the two-Kindle (or two device) solution is really the best, and that’s what I do.

Dual-language ebooks exist but when you have only one screen to work with, and reflowable text, there is no way to format the material that works very well. And the selection of titles is very poor.

Split screen on iPad is an option but so far the Kindle app does not support it. Even if it did, Split View cannot run two instances of the same app. So you would need to use two different apps that each support Split View (Marvin comes to mind as the developer specifically publishes two feature-identical versions of the app differing only in the app name/ID so they can run side-by-side).

In theory, you can use Safari, with 2 instances of Kindle Cloud reader in its ‘native’ Split View. But even iPad Pro 12.9 screen is not large enough to avoid warnings about wanting the screen to be wider. And of course it is ugly as the browser controls persist, and you lose all but the most basic reading features.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle paperwhite feature