Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-27-2008, 06:51 AM   #1
f00l
aka bad typist
f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.f00l can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis, iphones, android, old kindles, fire phoned
Re: devices with browsers/wireless connecticity...do you use the internet much?

Just bought a Kindle so I'll be trying out the blog and wikipedia access feature. Want to know the experiences of others.
f00l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
formulajay
formulajay began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Take my response with a grain of salt since I don't have my Kindle yet, but I wouldn't expect the web browsing capabilities of an e-ink based device to be that great(yet). I have used the Sony PRS-505 several times and I can't imagine spending any significant time surfing the web on one. Also, personally, I don't like to have a bunch of distractions when reading a book, so that is a plus for me. It is, however, very nice to have that functionality when you need it.

One of the main reason for my purchase of a dedicated device for reading ebooks is, the fact that I do not like reading on my laptop at all. It is too cumbersome and it affords too many possibilities for distractions, where as with the Kindle I can see myself reading for hours on it.
formulajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
I use my iLiad for wireless web browsing every day.
forums, blogs, news sites. It's all text plus some gif/png/jpg files w/o videos. Perfect for e-ink.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by f00l View Post
Just bought a Kindle so I'll be trying out the blog and wikipedia access feature. Want to know the experiences of others.
For the Kindle store, and the installed bookmarks, the browser works fine. Otherwise (IMO) it's tedious and slow unless you find sites that have mobile or mostly text versions. I've actually been finding mobile versions for sites I use on my laptop before adding their bookmarks to my Kindle because the laptop is much faster. BTW, the mobile version of eBay froze my Kindle and I had to do a hard reset.

The Kindle is fine in a pinch for web surfing but I'd much rather use a computer.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
l1n1234
Enthusiast
l1n1234 doesn't litterl1n1234 doesn't litter

Device: kindle
The Kindle was my first exposure to mobile web browsing. I gave some suggestion in this thread . Basically I found the Kindle very usable for browsing with site compression from Phonifier and Skweezer. Also mobile google reader works well. I actually never got into reading rss feeds until I started using google reader on the Kindle.
l1n1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2008, 04:11 AM   #6
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Well, with my Nokia N800 I use the web all the time. I use it while reading to look up reference info. No need for things like skweezer or what not...I see full sites not sliced and diced stuff. Then again I opted for a device I can read books on but is made to use the web vs. trying to use the web on a device designed primarily to read books on.

I do have some hope the Kindle and other next gen readers will either develop more options in that direction OR drop the price for the dedicated reader only devices.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote