Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-07-2024, 10:59 PM   #1
wildchild1954
Connoisseur
wildchild1954 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T510
Alphabetic Title Sort in Calibre

I have my Title Sort set to "Strictly Alphabetic" but it still insists on putting words like The, A, An, and that sort of thing at the end of a title. In Metadata say the Title field reads as The Farm but in the Title Sort field it will always show up as Farm, The unless I manually correct it and then the field will always be shown as a red field.

How can I make the Title Sort field display titles correctly and in a green field?
wildchild1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 12:10 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Preferences => Tweaks => Control sorting of titles and series in the library display

You will need to update the sort order after applying this tweak, see the end of the help text.

The help text is:

Quote:
Control title and series sorting in the library view. If set to 'library_order', the title sort field will be used instead of the title. Unless you have manually edited the title sort field, leading articles such as The and A will be ignored. If set to 'strictly_alphabetic', the titles will be sorted as-is (sort by title instead of title sort). For example, with library_order, The Client will sort under 'C'. With strictly_alphabetic, the book will sort under 'T'. This flag affects calibre's library display. It has no effect on devices. In addition, titles for books added before changing the flag will retain their order until the title is edited. Editing a title and hitting Enter without changing anything is sufficient to change the sort. Or you can use the 'Update title sort' action in the Bulk metadata edit dialog to update it for many books at once.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2024, 01:52 PM   #3
wildchild1954
Connoisseur
wildchild1954 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T510
Still Doesn't Work

The Title Sort is set to "strictly alphabetic" and even if I click on the Update title sort box then click Apply all I get is a window that opens right back up with no check mark and a Title sort field in individual Metadata that still sorts in library order! I can reenter the title sort field but then it will outline that in red and I want it to outline in green to say the sort order is correct.

Both the Control sorting of titles and series in the library display and the Control formatting of title and series when used in templates are set to "strictly alphabetic".
wildchild1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 02:17 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild1954 View Post
The Title Sort is set to "strictly alphabetic"
If what you say is above is true then you didn't follow the example. You are missing the underscore in "strictly_alphabetic".
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote