Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-09-2015, 01:34 AM   #1
KeithDickens
KeithDickens began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
How I Got All My Book Covers to Show on My Kindle Paperwhite

I love my new Kindle Paperwhite but the fact that most of my side-loaded books would not show up with their covers irritated the hell out of me. So I went on a quest to figure out why.

I now have every single side-loaded ebook in .mobi format showing covers. I have no idea if this uber simple solution will work for you but it is now standard procedure for me and works 100% of the time so far.

First, and this is a matter of trial and error and I don't think it ultimately matters but since I like to have all my covers the same size from the beginning, I set each book's cover size to 277x416 pixels.

I use Calibre to associate the new cover in the step below.

Next, I edit the individual book metadata with Calibre. Right click on the title in the list and select Edit Metadata > Edit Metadata Individually. I now associate the new sized cover, I delete any special characters out of the title (anything non-alphabetical including :,;()), I clear the ID property AND the published date property. As crazy as this sounds, wiping the published date seems key. Properly wiped fields will say "Undefined".

Click OK.

REMOVE THE BOOK FROM THE DEVICE. Make sure that if you have a version already on the device that doesn't have the cover that you delete all versions of it.

Right click the ebook in the Calibre Library list and select Send to Device > Send to Main Memory. Wait for it.

Disconnect your Kindle and check to see if the cover is there.

I've done this for over 30 books so far that had no covers (well, they had that silly Amazon default cover I should say) and ever one of them now shows covers on my device.
KeithDickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:02 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I believe you will find it is sufficient to send the book using calibre.

There are two ways the Kindle gets covers:
  • If the book is a PDOC (has that ugly "Personal" banner) it will be extracted from the ebook file.
  • If the book is Just A Book, it attempts to download the cover from Amazon's servers, using the exth 113 meta field (ASIN, a/k/a Amazon product ID). Stupidly, won't even try falling back on the embedded cover.

calibre works around this problem of non-PDOC ebooks, by sideloading the cover thumbnail itself, into the
Code:
[userstore]/system/thumbnails
directory where thumbnails are kept by the Kindle.

I've never seen missing thumbnails when sideloading via calibre, but I see them all the time when sideloading via the File Browser.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I use eschwartz's simple method--just send the book to my Kindles using Calibre. I've converted all my books to AZW3 within Calibre. Use the "Send to Device" option in Calibre to send the books to my PW2 and now my Voyage and they all show up just fine with covers.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally I've always preferred the list view on the home screen. It shows more, and more useful, information than the cover view.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Personally I've always preferred the list view on the home screen. It shows more, and more useful, information than the cover view.
True Harry--I almost always have my Kindles in list mode as well. In which case, it probably doesn't really matter if the covers transfer anyway.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I prefer cover mode as I already know all my books, and the covers look nicer.
To each his own.

Knowing how to get covers transferred for those who want it is always useful.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:17 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I prefer cover views, because I always judge a book by it's cover
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Shame on you, you judgmental ... something! You animal!
Old 08-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
oblox
Zealot
oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (7th Gen)
I do wish Amazon would make a list view with a small thumbnail cover image, Im sure Kobo has this and its the nicest view for me.

I'm going to try cover view as I like seeing my covers (and try and always get the best covers and matching for series) as they are all sorted by title (series order) anyway.
oblox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Like some others, I prefer lists. I also like all the information I can get even if I don't personally use it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblox View Post
I do wish Amazon would make a list view with a small thumbnail cover image, Im sure Kobo has this and its the nicest view for me.
Do they???
Old 08-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know about the newer models but the older kobo has a thumbnail cover and title.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Interesting.

How big is the thumbnail? If it can only take up part of the space of a single row, I wouldn't have thought it could be big enough to be useful.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:22 PM   #14
oblox
Zealot
oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (7th Gen)
Well its probably as big as...your thumb nail, no really. It has title author and file type size and whether its been read all on one line (5 books per page)
oblox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:12 AM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Interesting.

How big is the thumbnail? If it can only take up part of the space of a single row, I wouldn't have thought it could be big enough to be useful.
Under the books tab, they are 1/2 of an inch tall by almost 3/8 inch wide.
On the home page only the book you looked at last has a cover and it is 1-1/8 by 3/4 of an inch.