Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Device: touch
Exclamation kobo 2.00 update

My kobo touch started to update itself at 5:00pm UK time and is still trying to complete the install 3 hours later.
I can't seem to be able to do anything. I was thinking of performing reset if it will allow me to.

Is this the way to go or is there a better way?
d.culloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Worry over. After 3.5 hours the touch restarted and is up and running.

Is 3.5 hours a record for the longest, slowest kobo update.
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Sgtpepper
Sgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Touch
It's been ten hours for me...still going....
Sgtpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
Wow mine took about 10 minutes to install the update and then another 10 or so to restart and I already thought it was taking forever. I didn't time it so I don't have exact numbers.
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I believe they changed the database around some, so it is probably crunching through whatever changes it needed to do to that that makes the update take so long. Unless you have massive #'s of books at the 10 hour mark I'd be a little concerned (and definitely plugging it in 'cause you've got to be using a pile of battery ).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #6
d.culloch
Derek

Let us know how long it finally takes SgtPepper. After the wait I am happy with the upgrade and love the simillar books function. It is also great that shelves can be created.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
Sgtpepper
Sgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notesSgtpepper can name that song in three notes

Unfortunately both my Kobo and my wife's Kobo are stuck. I've been playing around with my one and managed to freeze it completely. Can't do any kind of reset. Not game to touch the wife's one now. Emailed kobo for help at 2 am this morning (long story) and so far the only reply I've gotten is a receipt to say they got my email.

Was really looking forward to getting the 2.0 upgrade and am really really missing my books right now! Hopefully I can find a solution somehow.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:31 AM   #8
d.culloch
Derek

Sorry I can't help. I am really just a reader of books and not a tech person. I hope you get back up and running as soon as possible.

It's times like these when I want to go retro.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #9
Sgtpepper

I'm not sure I can go back to dead trees!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
jayfiled
jayfiled began at the beginning.

I have exactly the same issue. There is another user in another thread who threw their kobo against the wall & fixed the problem...
Looking forward to this getting resolved.
jayfiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
Sgtpepper

glad to know I'm not alone!
Old 07-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
Did you try resetting by sticking a pin in the hole at the back?
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
Did you try resetting by sticking a pin in the hole at the back?
Yes, that just causes it to restart again and get stuck during the startup process again.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I remember I had to reset my KT a week or so back and it did that.
I stuck the pin in to shut it down and then connected it to the pc and extracted the update manually in the kobo directory and it updated properly.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #15
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Just in case...

...this happens to you:

I created shelves, and when I clicked to add books to one of them I got a multi-page library listing with no authors or titles.... just "Author unknown."

I had a moment of panic, and then did what I do when my computer misbehaves... powered off. When I powered the Kobo on again, all was OK.

I like the new upgrade, but judging by the many little quirks people are experiencing, maybe there will soon be a maintenance release!
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote