Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
Sony Readers for 50% off at Borders

I happened to stop into the local Borders (Gurnee, IL) last night, saw that they had a display of Sony ereaders up with a sign up saying that they were 50% off. It looks like you have to have their rewards card, which I believe is free. I'm not sure what other fine print is involved.

Hope this helps someone.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
So, think this means Borders is getting ready to stock a new reader instead? Or that Sony is dumping these for a new model soon?
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Or Borders is going out of business.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

I know the new Kobo reader is supposed to be available at Borders soon. I want to say within the next few weeks, but certainly this summer.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
I just called my local Borders at Altamonte Springs, FL and they have the Sony readers at regular prices - the Touch is $299 and the Pocket $199, so no clearance sale there (unfortunately).
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
dcross9818
Enthusiast
dcross9818 doesn't litterdcross9818 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-350, Kobo Aura, Kindle PW2, Voyage (broke), Oasis
I saw the handful of accessories they have left on the website are 50% off, maybe the sign was for that?

---dcross9818
dcross9818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur

The sign at ours said 50% off sony readers for Borders members. I didn't check out the fine print, so who knows what they're hiding there, but I'm pretty sure the display was only set up with readers.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Or Borders is going out of business.

Don
Borders went belly up in the UK a while ago now. Fingers crossed for you chaps across the pond.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I checked online, and they have some covers, etc., half-price, but not the Readers themselves.

And yeah, the Borders Rewards card is free, and one of the few "loyalty card" programs I'll tolerate. I think my all-time best win with it was buying the complete Man From U.N.C.L.E. TV series on DVD, with a 40% off coupon, when they were giving triple rewards points. Come to think of it, maybe I'm why Borders is in trouble.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I saw today that my local Walmart store has lowered the price of the PRS-300 to $148.00. The price for the PRS-600 hasn't changed.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #11
psercki
psercki began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600 and nook
My understanding is that Borders owns the online Kobo book store.
psercki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:48 AM   #12
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
I will repeat that I saw covers for 50% today, but no readers.
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:14 AM   #13
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Big display in mine as well, with the big sign - it is for Covers, not the readers (but is says "Sony Reader Covers", so it might be easy to misunderstand, especially as covers were on the other side of the display and only readers were behind the sign).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #14
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Well, this week all the big chains in the US, Best Buy, Target, Ritz, etc. have the Sony PRS-300 Pocket Reader on sale for $149. Reaction to Kobo or something else?
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #15
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
Well, this week all the big chains in the US, Best Buy, Target, Ritz, etc. have the Sony PRS-300 Pocket Reader on sale for $149. Reaction to Kobo or something else?
Strange thing is, you can also find the same price on the Sony website, but sites like Newegg or Frys still carry the higher ($199) price.
THe price is good until thr 9th of May.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote