Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
New Sony Readers at Borders

I've been looking around at the new 6 inch readers. I love my Sony's, but don't understand why they are charging so much more than everyone else for a 6 inch model. While reading about the new Kobo coming out at Borders, I went to their website and discovered that Borders will be carrying the new Sony's. I had assumed that with its investment in Kobo Borders would stop carrying the new Sony's.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/MediaView_ereaders
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Sony charges more because, unlike Kobo and nook, they do more - cropping margins, zooming, etc. The Kindle has a nice display, but is good for ... well ... (pretty much) only Amazon-purchased books!

As for Borders, Kobo is likely grateful to have Borders as a sales outlet in the U. S. market; Sony probably gets enough revenue from them not to force a non-competition sales agreement.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
I've been looking around at the new 6 inch readers. I love my Sony's, but don't understand why they are charging so much more than everyone else for a 6 inch model. While reading about the new Kobo coming out at Borders, I went to their website and discovered that Borders will be carrying the new Sony's. I had assumed that with its investment in Kobo Borders would stop carrying the new Sony's.

My perception is that Borders and Kobo are essentially pursuing a strategy of getting people to use their ebook store. It would be nice (from their perspective) if people choose to use their reader, but they are going to live and die based on people buying books from them not readers, therefore, give people lots of choices of ebook readers and they might be more likely to buy their books from them.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Sony charges more because, unlike Kobo and nook, they do more - cropping margins, zooming, etc. The Kindle has a nice display, but is good for ... well ... (pretty much) only Amazon-purchased books!

As for Borders, Kobo is likely grateful to have Borders as a sales outlet in the U. S. market; Sony probably gets enough revenue from them not to force a non-competition sales agreement.
Well, I think it is debatable about whether the Sony does more.. particularly if we compare it to the Kindle or the Nook or the new Kobo that will be out soon. Even the Sony Pocket costs more than the Kobo but it doesn't have wireless while the Kobo does.

Now that being said, I think a case can be made that the excellent Sony Touch Screen and peerless build quality might justify the cost... but that will depend on the individual.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post

That is good news if I want a black 650. Because I can take a trip to new Hampshire to get one and not pay sales tax. The cost in gas would be less then the sales tax.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I just ordered mine from ABT - no sales tax and free (UPS ground) shipping. Here is WA, our sales tax
is 10%, including Amazon.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
darex2
darex2 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350 (and PRS-505; for sale)
It appears as though Target has stopped selling Sony Readers (at least for now?).
darex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is good news if I want a black 650. Because I can take a trip to new Hampshire to get one and not pay sales tax. The cost in gas would be less then the sales tax.
Yes, Jon --- but I know you know you need to report your purchase to your governor Deval Patrick, and pay the difference on your state income tax return!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I just ordered mine from ABT - no sales tax and free (UPS ground) shipping. Here is WA, our sales tax
is 10%, including Amazon.
ABT is a good store. I live very close to their store and was able to pick-up one last week.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Jon,

Isn't Roslindale south of Boston? What is the sales tax in Taxachusetts these days?
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by darex2 View Post
It appears as though Target has stopped selling Sony Readers (at least for now?).
I haven't checked recently but last I checked, I thought I saw them offered through Target online. I thought perhaps they aren't stocked in stores yet because they were recently released and available units are currently low.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by darex2 View Post
I think Target is selling down inventory of the old readers, and will put the Sony reader displays back up when they have a full stock of the 350/650 and accessories.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #13
icewyche
Dark Queen of Bibliomanes
icewyche has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-650
Oh, FFS... I was waiting to order my new 650 through Borders so I could earn Borders Bucks on it, but I finally gave up and ordered from Abt when all I saw was the closeout on the 600. Granted Abt was 99 cents cheaper and I didn't have to pay sales tax or drive to Borders to pick it up, but it's still aggravating.
icewyche is offline   Reply With Quote