Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2019, 04:35 AM   #1
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Clara HD shutting off randomly

My daughter’s Clara HD is shutting off at random. She’s been assuming that the battery died, but today it powered off while I was checking it out. All you need to do to awaken it is hold down the power button for a few seconds.

I’ve repaired the book database and removed all the sideloaded kepub ebooks just in case one was corrupt. The unit has a full charge. The battery seems fine after it reboots. I’ve also shut it off and powered it back up. So far, so good.

Has anybody heard of Clara’s randomly shutting off? Got any suggestions I could try to troubleshoot this? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:10 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
does it also randomly shut off while usb / charger connected?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2019, 06:08 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
When it shuts of what is displayed? The powered off screen? Or does the screen remain unchanged? And have you checked the sleep/power off settings?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:07 AM   #4
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
does it also randomly shut off while usb / charger connected?
I have not noticed it behaving this way while plugged in.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:12 AM   #5
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
When it shuts of what is displayed? The powered off screen? Or does the screen remain unchanged? And have you checked the sleep/power off settings?
When it shuts off, it displays the screen saver with no details because that's how my daughter set it. Thank you for suggesting the sleep/power off settings. The Kobo was indeed set to shut off after 15 minutes, and I set that to never now, but the unit is supposed to wait until inactivity to shut off, not power off while the device is being used. It happened to me while I was browsing books, so it's not a matter of my daughter not noticing how much time has passed.

Since setting the power off to never trigger fixed the issue, I suppose we're done here, but I do have to admit that I'm bothered that the unit seemingly at random powers off while it is being used.
Advert
Old 05-30-2019, 09:27 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've an N905C that powers down when not used for a while. It's set to Never and battery is good. It's fine regarding sleeping after 15 min no use. It doesn't sleep while in use. However the powering off is odd.
The Sony readers I have will ALWAYS power down from sleep eventually.
AFAIK no Kindle has any sort of power off, which is unfortunate if it's used very infrequently.
Not sure what my Nook does, though you can manually power it down, unlike a Kindle.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote