Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur
caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony daily edition 950
Travelling abroad with T1: Can I download from usual US sites?

Hi guys,

I have had my T1 for a couple of months and I am going abroad (away from the US) for a few weeks and I was wondering if any of you had any experience downloading from either the Sony Store or public libraries while abroad with a US bought (and authorized/initialiezed) T1. I hope there isn't some IP issues where if you are abroad you are not able to download from the sony store for example.

Anyone has had to deal with this?
caribbean_spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Not sure if it has changed recently but Sony used to limit US-store access to US ip addresses, even for pre-purchased content.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur
caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.

Damn! This is a bummer. How about other stores (like google ebook store) and libraries? It is their loss if I can buy elsewhere.

Last edited by caribbean_spur; 02-12-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Maybe you could download a few library books etc. Before you go.

I am sure you will be able to get books in another country, but having a few unread ones should ease the stress

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur

Yeah, I am planning on doing just this. But I could end staying longer that is scheduled, so I would like to know if there is a store and library that would allow me to download if case I run out of books.
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I was in England this week and did several tests with the T1.

1) Hotel wireless worked great. Smooth connection process. No different than connecting to wireless in the US.

2) Bought a book from the Sony store. No issues.

3) Bought a periodical from the Sony store. No issues.

4) Downloaded previous purchases from my Sony account page. No issues.

5) Borrowed a book from my local library. No issues.

In general it was great! I always travel with a backup supply of books just in case though (expect the unexpected to occur), Hope that helps!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:22 AM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I was in England this week and did several tests with the T1.
1) Hotel wireless worked great. Smooth connection process. No different than connecting to wireless in the US.
2) Bought a book from the Sony store. No issues.
3) Bought a periodical from the Sony store. No issues.
4) Downloaded previous purchases from my Sony account page. No issues.
5) Borrowed a book from my local library. No issues......
All of which means yes - 'cos there aint a UK Reader Store !

[ Plus you could stock up before you go - you got space for 1200 remember!]

Hope you enjoyed your stay, Bookworm Gal.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #8
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I can confirm that the T1 works well with both library and Sony (US) store even when you're out of USA. Sony store does not care about your IP and have not done so in the year or so I've been registered there. (I have a US "real" address.)
I'm in Sweden and I've both borrowed a book from Philly Library and downloaded books from Sony store. No problems whatsoever!

Last edited by Asawi; 02-13-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur

Great guys! Thanks for the info! I will get a few books before leaving. But I feel better knowing that I can get some more if I need to.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbean_spur View Post
Great guys! Thanks for the info! I will get a few books before leaving. But I feel better knowing that I can get some more if I need to.
Are you traveling with a laptop that has ADE and/or Sony software installed? If so and you use VPN software, then it should also be no problem to download books from various bookstores over the web and then transfer them to your T1 via USB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Hope you enjoyed your stay, Bookworm Gal.....
I most sincerely always enjoy my visits to England, just wish more of them were for pleasure rather than business. It was cold but not too snowy or icy. The newspapers were rather OTT about the weather. I had a window seat for a UK domestic flight into Heathrow, and it was very picturesque viewing all the snow across the football pitches and rooftops as we got closer to the ground.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
The newspapers were rather OTT about the weather. I had a window seat for a UK domestic flight into Heathrow, and it was very picturesque viewing all the snow across the football pitches and rooftops as we got closer to the ground.
You've got to love the UK press {they'll hack your phone if you don't ). After last week's headlines I'm amazed there weren't pensioners dropping dead in the streets.

Last edited by geoffwood; 02-13-2012 at 04:10 PM.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur

Quote:
Are you traveling with a laptop that has ADE and/or Sony software installed? If so and you use VPN software, then it should also be no problem to download books from various bookstores over the web and then transfer them to your T1 via USB.

Yes I am traveling with a laptop that has ADE and Sony for Pc. Do I need the VPN software to download books or can I just use a normal connection?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbean_spur View Post
Yes I am traveling with a laptop that has ADE and Sony for Pc. Do I need the VPN software to download books or can I just use a normal connection?
If you are traveling with a business laptop, then you probably already have client software installed which you use for a secure, remote-access VPN connection to your company's servers. If you are traveling with a personal laptop, then I have seen other posts on MR that recommend various freeware options. Try a search if you want more info.

It sounds like from Asawi's post that you don't need VPN software for any purchases made through the Sony software as it doesn't matter if the IP location is non-US based. There may be other websites that you might purchase books from that you would need it. If you are happy with the Sony store, then don't worry about it and make your purchases over the T1 wirelessly. Or, make them from your laptop and transfer them.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
You've got to love the UK press {they'll hack your phone if you don't ). After last week's headlines I'm amazed there weren't pensioners dropping dead in the streets.
Off topic but I had to laugh at the news on Thursday I think it was. Adjacent to a story about the up-to-6 inches of anticipated overnight snow (that turned out to be much less) was an article announcing a new campaign by the government to promote the English weather to foreign tourists. I've been to St. James's Park, and I've been to the beach on the Med. They are both lovely for different reasons, but I know which I'd rather visit to get a suntan! I also thought it was funny that one of the weather forecast maps had a disclaimer that readers should be cautioned that the Met Office was unable to predict this weekend's weather as accurately as the previous week.

Quote:
Announcing the Government's "Great" advertising campaign in 14 cities, Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt said: "We have lower rainfall than Paris. We have to make sure people understand the reality about the weather. "It is not always as hot as New York but much more pleasant. Come and get a suntan in St James's Park — you'll find that it is much more pleasant than a crowded beach on the Med."