Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?

Mainly for fans of detective fiction, here's an interesting poser:

What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?

howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:17 AM   #2
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Are we assuming they are both equally skilled?

They will likely find each other to be rather elusive adversaries, and eventually the task will spiral out of your control. Professional pride will motivate each of them to 'catch-out' the other, and you won't even have to pay them anymore.

Maybe they will each hire an associate to help them out, so you will then have 2 pairs of investigators following each other. Even better, you hire two other investigators and instruct each of them to follow each of the other 3...

Pandemonium!
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I think that their endless circling would create an event horizon and generate a small black hole capable of sucking in the entire solar system.

[But you would still be billed for time & expenses by both.]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
michaelryannh
Connoisseur
michaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to beholdmichaelryannh is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G + Wifi
Am I the only one that immediately thought of Spy vs Spy when I read the topic title?

I know they weren't private investigators.. but I would imagine the same effect happening. Your investigators would relentlessly go at each other, forming a love/hate relationship.
michaelryannh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Flash to two cars going in an ever-shrinking circle.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
GA Russell
Ford to the rescue?
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I don't think they'd ever get any sleep.
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelryannh View Post
Am I the only one that immediately thought of Spy vs Spy when I read the topic title?

I know they weren't private investigators.. but I would imagine the same effect happening. Your investigators would relentlessly go at each other, forming a love/hate relationship.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Depends on the investigators. I'd like to imagine the two of them shadowing each other around a corner, only to come nose-to-nose with each other. Discrete inquiry reveals they were hired by the same guy... then they both go after HIM (the Remington Steele style of detective fiction).

OR...

Confrontation leading to a massive slug-fest or shoot-out, and the loser being dragged to the client by the winner (the Bruce Willis style of detective fiction).

OR...

They lose each other almost immediately, only to stumble upon each other in the bathroom (the Columbo style of detective fiction).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Depends on the investigators. I'd like to imagine the two of them shadowing each other around a corner, only to come nose-to-nose with each other. Discrete inquiry reveals they were hired by the same guy... then they both go after HIM (the Remington Steele style of detective fiction).

OR...

Confrontation leading to a massive slug-fest or shoot-out, and the loser being dragged to the client by the winner (the Bruce Willis style of detective fiction).

OR...

They lose each other almost immediately, only to stumble upon each other in the bathroom (the Columbo style of detective fiction).
OR...

Together they construct an exciting and entirely fictional series of chases, encounters with sinister strangers, and mysterious events, resulting in a series of cliffhanger reports and two grossly inflated bills.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
OR...

Together they construct an exciting and entirely fictional series of chases, encounters with sinister strangers, and mysterious events, resulting in a series of cliffhanger reports and two grossly inflated bills.
I like the way you think! (They should probably include a run-in with neo-nazis and at least one Diabolical Plan to Take Over Ze Vorld!)
Old 10-28-2011, 05:07 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
They'd probably hate the sight of each other at first glance, then you know they'll end up getting married and living happily ever-after; after billing you for their time ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #12
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
It was a night from hell. The bill collectors were coming in droves and I was running out of excuses. While pondering which invoice I should avoid next I heard the screeching tyres as a vehicle skidded to a holt out back. I could hear all four car doors slamming one after the other. That meant at least four visitors I wasn't prepared for.
They weren't even trying to be quiet on there way up the stairs and I heard my neighbours cursing at the rabble coming from the landing outside.
Bugger! Who was it this time?

Thump thump thump. "Open the door Geoff? I know you had that dick following me. Just what the hell are you up to? If I find out this is about the ????? Me and my pals here are gonna' rip you to pieces limb by limb."
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It would create a space/time loop, in which they each shoot the other's grandfather in a wild shootout, thereby causing the loop to collapse, the dicks to never have existed, and (see Pooh's comment above to conclude).
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Detective A would pull off a Mission: Impossible-style face mask to reveal himself to be detective B.

Detective B would pull off a Mission: Impossible-style face mask to reveal himself to be the client.

The Client would pull off a Mission: Impossible-style face mask to reveal himself to be Nancy Walker.

There would be a distinct whirring sound as Nancy Walker spun rapidly in her grave.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:03 AM   #15
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Detective A would pull off a Mission: Impossible-style face mask to reveal himself to be detective B.

Detective B would pull off a Mission: Impossible-style face mask to reveal himself to be the client.

The Client would pull off a Mission: Impossible-style face mask to reveal himself to be Nancy Walker.

There would be a distinct whirring sound as Nancy Walker spun rapidly in her grave.
Then the Scooby-Doo Gang would arrive. It would be revealed that the very first person they met was behind it all as an elaborate plot to lay claim to a vast oil reserve under the property.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote