Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-24-2024, 04:18 PM   #1
Graham44
Graham44 does all things with Zen-like beautyGraham44 does all things with Zen-like beautyGraham44 does all things with Zen-like beautyGraham44 does all things with Zen-like beautyGraham44 does all things with Zen-like beautyGraham44 does all things with Zen-like beautyGraham44 does all things with Zen-like beautyGraham44 does all things with Zen-like beautyGraham44 does all things with Zen-like beautyGraham44 does all things with Zen-like beautyGraham44 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle paperwhite signature edition
A thank you to Kovid Goyal

I wanted to start this thread just to say thank you To Kovid Goyal for bringing us what I consider the best e-book software there is.

I love reading both physical books and e-books, I probably have around 300-350 ish physical books on my floor to ceiling bookshelves and I have 341 Kindle books.

With my physical books I like to just scan through them when picking one to read, and sometimes just picking one of the shelf to look at the cover and blurb on the back, a very tactile experience. Whereas I always found the Kindle for PC software very 'cold' and 'clinical' I still enjoyed reading the books on Kindle but the selection process wasn't as nice as the selection process for my physical books (and the cataloguing process on Kindle I found just awful, nowhere near enough customizable for me)

Calibre has changed all that for me - yes an e-book/e-book library can never replicate the tactile experience of a physical book - but Calibre does replicate a physical library wonderfully, for me anyway. From the lovely subtle reflections in cover browser, to being able to group books in anyway you wish, to the powerful search tools and ability to really own your Kindle books by allowing customisation its really made Kindle library feel like my Kindle library.

So as I said I just wanted to use this thread as an opportunity to say thank you to Kovid, perhaps others would also like to do the same on this thread.
Graham44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 04:37 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham44 View Post
So as I said I just wanted to use this thread as an opportunity to say thank you to Kovid, perhaps others would also like to do the same on this thread.
Yes, certainly. Calibre is the most important program I've had on my computers for the past 13 years. It is truly irreplaceable. It makes managing an ebook library a real delight.

My heartfelt thanks to you, Mr Goyal, and other calibre contributors for your wonderful work.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2024, 10:01 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You are most welcome, calibre has always been a labor of love for me, since I am myself an avid reader.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:31 AM   #4
bluepeter
Zealot
bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.bluepeter is far more humble than you.

Device: Clara 2E, Clara BW, Mini, Libra H2O, Paperwhite (10G), Boox Poke 5
And another thank you from me.

I've only been using Calibre since early 2021, and am sure that I've only scratched the surface of its capabilities. Nonetheless, and like @Sirtel, I regard it as the most useful program on my laptop. The more I learn about it, the more I love it.
bluepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM   #5
foosion
Addict
foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.foosion is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Clara BW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You are most welcome, calibre has always been a labor of love for me, since I am myself an avid reader.
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM   #6
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
I'd like to add my appreciation too.

It's one of the first applications I install on my PCs after every reimage.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM   #7
peaceridge
Wizard
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
My thanks, also. It is my most important piece of software. If fact, I needed a new computer and was looking at Mac vs my older Windows. The first thing I checked was whether the Mac could run Calibre. Thank goodness it could! However, if not, I would have stayed with Windows.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:39 AM   #8
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote