Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-18-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
rjbooks
rjbooks began at the beginning.

Device: none
AZW3 File Format - Can't Convert

I imported a Kindle book into my library and it appears in AZW3 format. I am unable to convert it or open it. In "use internal viewer" in preferences > behavior, this file type is checked. I am using Calibre version 2.12 64 bit.

Thanks for your help.
rjbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I believe that AZW3 Kindle books have DRM encryption. If so and you're interested in stripping the encryption, you need to go to the Apprentice Alf blog to get the deDRM tools. There are plug-ins in the tool zip file that can be used with Calibre.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
rjbooks
rjbooks began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I believe that AZW3 Kindle books have DRM encryption. If so and you're interested in stripping the encryption, you need to go to the Apprentice Alf blog to get the deDRM tools. There are plug-ins in the tool zip file that can be used with Calibre.
But if the file type is checked for the internal reader, shouldn't I be able to read it in Calibre?
rjbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Calibre on its own can't read encrypted books. The deDRM tools will decrypt the books and make them readable.

I did a bit more reading, and AZW3 is a file format that contains a file that includes both Amazon's newest formatted file as well as the old MOBI formatted. I hope I'm saying that right. It also said that it's Amazon's newest format, so it includes some of the newest code (like HTML5).

There are certain books - often children's books with multimedia formats - that can only be read in certain programs.

I don't have any of those, so I've never bothered to find out if Calibre can't read it.

My rule of thumb is, if I import a book to Calibre and it won't display the book and instead of a book cover it's just a graphic of a book, it's probably encrypted and I need to strip off the DRM for Calibre to read it.

Once DRM is stripped, the file has the same extension (so the AZW3 stays an AZW3), but is no longer encrypted and can be read by Calibre. It *is* possible there are certain multimedia ebooks that can't be - I haven't researched or experimented with any of those.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:45 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
calibre embeds webkit, so it should be pretty good at handling most things. Unlike your average ereader, calibre has the flexibility to fully utilize web-based rendering.

I believe calibre does handle multimedia ebooks.

Regarding the AZW3 format, never mind that, it is mostly irrelevant to the topic at hand. FYI, AZW3 is the new format exclusively, although MOBI can be either original MOBI or a dual-MOBI with AZW3 content and a MOBI fallback.

And yeah, the only issue is, I am guessing, the DRM. You should get a popup in the ebook-viewer saying the book has DRM, if so. And conversions should fail with a traceback leading to DRMError.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-20-2014 at 08:48 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Similar problem here. I have a mobi file that has no drm. I can read it in kindle for pc and open it in calibre BUT in calibre I can not "see" the chapter content in the reader. When I convert the file it only converts the title pages and a few other author comments. All the "chapters" are missing.

When I look at the toc of the file I see all the chapters. I am at a loss on how to convert this.

Has anyone had a similar problem?
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Don't forget that calibre's viewer does a conversion to ePub format, so if an error happens on a manual conversion it will probably also happen on the conversion done by the viewer.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The book may be malformed somehow.

I cannot say more without seeing the book, although someone else may have an idea.

If the book is copyrighted, just attach it to a private bug report.
http://calibre-ebook.com/bugs

If it isn't copyrighted, attach it here and maybe we could look at it. Or submit a bug report, of course.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-20-2014 at 08:55 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote