Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 11:10 AM   #1
CSaxelby
CSaxelby
CSaxelby began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Paperwhite 10th gen - books won't go in collections

I apologise if this question has been asked previously, but I couldn't find anything relating to this.

I keep all my Kindle books in collections. But on my Paperwhite (10th gen), it insists on showing me a lot of the books (over 100 pages of them) outside of the collections, after listing the collections themselves. This, to my mind, defeats the object of having collections in the first place.

It's not a 'view' issue, or a filtering one. I've checked that.

Every book I buy goes straight into 'To read' and once I've read it, it then gets stored into another more relevant collection. Some of my books can be in 2 or more collections, depending on what type of books they are.

I've tried redoing them on the Amazon site and then restarting my Kindle. I've tried moving books out of collections and back in again. Nothing seems to work. Has anyone else encountered this? If so, is there a solution? I have over 1,000 books but none of my collections are particularly huge.

Many thanks
Carol
CSaxelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:43 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaxelby View Post
It's not a 'view' issue, or a filtering one. I've checked that.
As far as I know if you set Filter to have a check mark next to Collections you will see only your collections and nothing else. Books that are not part of a collection will not be shown.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
BiliBug
Connoisseur
BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage (Formerly KKB, PW1, PW3, KV, OA3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
As far as I know if you set Filter to have a check mark next to Collections you will see only your collections and nothing else. Books that are not part of a collection will not be shown.

Not true. It will show collections on the first few pages and then books that are not in collections. This is my default view, which I use to file new downloads into collections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BiliBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiliBug View Post
Not true. It will show collections on the first few pages and then books that are not in collections. This is my default view, which I use to file new downloads into collections.
Odd. That is not how it works for me on my Oasis.

What you describe is how setting Sort to Collection works instead of setting Filter to Collections.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Yes, if you set Filter to Collections (it is all the way at the bottom of the Filter options), it will only show Collections.

Setting the Sort option to Collection results in what you are seeing.

It is annoying that the presentation of Collections is not consistent across platforms (Kindle device, Fire device, Android device, iOS device). They each have their quirks.

For example Android/Fire app lets you sort a collection by Title/Author/Recent or use a Custom (‘manual’) sort. The iOS app only has Custom sort. And Kindle does not have a Custom sort option (probably because drag gesture is not available). The view that most resembles the Collections Filter on Kindle is found in the Sort menu on the other platforms. And only Kindle has the notion of ‘downloading’ collections (which is a source of confusion IMO), and having these ‘downloaded’ collections show mixed in with books in library listing.

If it were up to me, I’d do away with ‘downloading’ collections on Kindle, remove Collections option from Filter menu, and change the Collection Sort option so it only displays the collections (as on other platforms). This would give a more consistent experience when switching platforms.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2020, 01:28 PM   #6
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
I can't reproduce this. If I filter on "Collections" I only see my collections, with no books following the list of collections. Can you please take a picture of your screen so that we can see how it is set up? I'm attaching a picture of what my Kindle looks like when I filter on Collections.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200916.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	181985  
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:57 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I can confirm on FW 5.10.1.3, Sort by Collections shows Collections first then uncollected books after.

Has that behavior changed in recent firmware?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:56 PM   #8
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I can confirm on FW 5.10.1.3, Sort by Collections shows Collections first then uncollected books after.

Has that behavior changed in recent firmware?
No...sorting by collections behaves this way, and has for years. Bilibug is saying that he is seeing that behavior when *filtering* by collections, however, and that is what we are questioning.

Shari
Old 09-16-2020, 05:15 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
No...sorting by collections behaves this way, and has for years. Bilibug is saying that he is seeing that behavior when *filtering* by collections, however, and that is what we are questioning.
From what I understand, the OP's problem is her Sort by Collections is not behaving correctly like you described.

Books that should already be in collections are still shown on the main library view. This is why I asked if Amazon changed Sort by Collection behavior on newer firmware.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 09-16-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:23 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

P.S. Are the collections downloaded/starred/checked to the Kindle?
Old 09-17-2020, 08:44 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You appear to be in 'ALL'.

Have you checked 'DOWNLOADED' to see if the condition is the same?

Have you synced your books?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #12
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You appear to be in 'ALL'.

Have you checked 'DOWNLOADED' to see if the condition is the same?

Have you synced your books?
I give up.

Shari
Old 09-17-2020, 10:47 AM   #13
BiliBug
Connoisseur
BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage (Formerly KKB, PW1, PW3, KV, OA3)
My bad. I confused filter and sort by. If you sort by collections and filter by all or books, you should get the results I indicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BiliBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:05 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I give up.

Shari

Sorry, but I commented on the wrong post.

But no need to give up. Hang in there.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote