Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 12-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Edit Ebook -- WOW!

When I did my weekly grab of the current version of Calibre, I checked to see what was new, as I often do. And lo and behold, a new Edit Ebook feature. Cool. And it works with AZW3, my preferred format. Even better, saves me having to convert to ePub first.

So I fired up the new Calibre, added Edit Ebook to my second toolbar, and tried it out on a book that I'd noticed had a few things that needed fixing. Wow. A simple, easy to use interface that makes immediate sense. Very nicely done. My compliments to all who worked on it.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
When I did my weekly grab of the current version of Calibre, I checked to see what was new, as I often do. And lo and behold, a new Edit Ebook feature. Cool. And it works with AZW3, my preferred format. Even better, saves me having to convert to ePub first.

So I fired up the new Calibre, added Edit Ebook to my second toolbar, and tried it out on a book that I'd noticed had a few things that needed fixing. Wow. A simple, easy to use interface that makes immediate sense. Very nicely done. My compliments to all who worked on it.
EB is a work in progress. There are lots of things to be done yet.
I think that Kovid has only been working on this a month. Just wait! There will be the Kovid version of more
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
GeekyGal
Enthusiast
GeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle FireHD, Kindle3G, iPad, MacBook, iRex Illiad (ret)
Hear! Hear! THANK YOU, Kovid, for the ebook editor. I know it's a work in progress, but what a great tool.
GeekyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
And after only a month and a half, we already have all the basic functionality of Sigil!

The development thread is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=224525

In case anyone wishes to observe the daily progress or submit bugs/requests.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Edit Ebook -- WOWZERS!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome, all. I enjoyed developing it, as writing an editor is a new experience for me, and I learned a lot while doing it
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
This is an amazing addition to Calibre. Kovid you always amaze me. Now I can edit books in whatever format my ereader uses. Simply amazing!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
I dont believe this !

Hi Kovid and all contributors
The new Edit Ebooks feature is fantastic.

It made me able to move a EPUB cover to the top before I converted it to the "good" old mobi format.
I must confess that I'm in unknown tereroty with all this htlm, css, xml,
Just a book reader.
So far extremely very good !!
Cheers
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
Smile Yay!

Awesome! Thank you so much Kovid!

I had been wondering what you were up to (haven't been to the forum for some weeks). Usually when you don't add a new feature for a while it means a big new thing – and a big awesome new thing we got indeed !

I have not tried this yet, but judging from the screenshot – as someone who sofar resorted to using tweak ebook and text editing all the files by hand – this should really ease the workflow when I am editing a creative commons ebook or just fixing some issues with a book I want to read (like annoying space-wasting empty lines between paragraphs) .

It's extra awesome that I can directly edit AZW3 ebooks, too. Overall, this is a wonderful development after Sigil got abandoned. I'll check it out as soon as I got an ebook to edit and look forward to now be able to essentially do everything in calibre . Well, I'll still use kindlegen for one-to-one EPUB to AZW3 conversions, but it's great to be able to leave the dozen open text editor tabs behind and to get a live preview without having to reassemble the book like with tweak ebook previously .
Dylan Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #10
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
I must confess that I'm in unknown tereroty with all this htlm, css, xml, Just a book reader. So far extremely very good !! Cheers
What pchrist7 said, ditto. I like it. Thank you.

Last edited by unboggling; 12-14-2013 at 11:57 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
Kovid, as usual, you have been of enormous benefit to Mobileread members and Calibre users. Because I haven't encountered an ebook that I didn't want to modify at least a little, I was very nervous at the potential loss of support for Sigil. Thank you for your continued efforts -- past, present and (hopefully) future.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yes, this new function is quite epic, and very feature rich even after such a short development time. At some point, this function will become the official spiritual successor to Sigil. (It can be started seperately from calibre, from the Start Menu, by the way.)

I actually offered to Kovid to help extend his "basic" editor after he was done with the initial implementation, but he is way too fast. What you're looking at now, is his idea of "basic". If we give him another month, he'll probably just clone the entire Eclipse IDE as well, and call it "nice to start out with"

Almost everything I would want to do (and would be able to do, with regard to my still limited knowledge of Python, QT and Calibre's internals) is either already done, or on the to-do list.

He could only be so fast if he wrote most of Calibre himself.

Ow... wait....

Last edited by Katsunami; 12-14-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #13
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Kovid is incredible!

Edit Book is a marvel!
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
timberbeast
stumblebum
timberbeast began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
Yess!! Kovid you have done a bang up job with the EditBook feature. I have to admit, I spent the last two days playing with it. You never fail to amaze me. Thank you very much!

larry
timberbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
BaconButty
Connoisseur
BaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 & iPad Mini & Galaxy Tab10
I couldn't agree more!

Using it for the first time yesterday, I was able to tidy up an epub made from a bad pdf conversion which was full of odd line breaks, page numbers and weirdly-placed images.

So easy...

Thank you !
BaconButty is offline   Reply With Quote