Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-08-2023, 10:37 AM   #1
tetristres
tetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Sony Reader
Calibre as Document Management System

I have recently discovered Calibre and I find that it could also serve quite well as a database of personal documents.

How private is the information in the Calibre library? I mean, if I add personal documents like my own Word files or bank statements, is the content of these documents uploaded somewhere to fill the metadata information?

Also, would it be possible to have two different Libraries within the same installation of Calibre?
tetristres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:59 AM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Just avoid use of the content server (or ensure that it's unavailable to the internet) and you'll be fine.

You can have as many libraries as you want.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-08-2023 at 01:27 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2023, 12:04 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
You can also have virtual libraries, i.e. one physical library that's separated into virtual ones by different tags, search terms, categories etc.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 01:39 PM   #4
tetristres
tetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy bluetetristres can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Brilliant! Thank you.

At some point I saw an option to download metadata from Amazon. I can't find it now. That is what worries me.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:07 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetristres View Post
Brilliant! Thank you.

At some point I saw an option to download metadata from Amazon. I can't find it now. That is what worries me.
That would be in Preferences => Sharing => Metadata download. You can select the sources. You could remove the checkmarks from all metadata sources so even if you right clicked on a book and selected Edit Metadata => Edit metadata individually or Edit metadata in bulk or Download metadata and covers, you would trigger a metadata download.

OTOH and this gets into my personal opinion, the metadata download does not send any personally identifiable information. If you are really worried about sending author, title, book identifier, etc., I would suggest moving to buying physical books with gift cards paid for with cash in a different store.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2023, 09:53 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I recently started to keep my important personal e-docs in a Windows Portable library on a Portable SSD T7 Touch 500GB silver | Samsung Australia

Local retailer had them at $AU69.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-08-2023 at 09:57 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 03:51 PM   #7
tetristres

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That would be in Preferences => Sharing => Metadata download. You can select the sources. You could remove the checkmarks from all metadata sources so even if you right clicked on a book and selected Edit Metadata => Edit metadata individually or Edit metadata in bulk or Download metadata and covers, you would trigger a metadata download.

OTOH and this gets into my personal opinion, the metadata download does not send any personally identifiable information. If you are really worried about sending author, title, book identifier, etc., I would suggest moving to buying physical books with gift cards paid for with cash in a different store.
Old 04-10-2023, 03:45 AM   #8
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
Just to give you a different option:

I love and use Calibre for its designed purpose.
I'm also sure it can be used for a lot of things, that it was not meant to handle explicitly.

But...

If you really want a Document Management System, especially one that can handle scans of documents, than you should take a look at Paperless.

It can help with scanns in ways that Calibre can not.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 04:23 PM   #9
tetristres

Paperless seems to be more professional for small or medium enterprises.

I was just looking for a personal solution.

Thanks anyway.
Old 04-10-2023, 04:25 PM   #10
tetristres

Anyway it seems that Calibre doesn't index Word files for full text search. This is a small drawback.
Old 04-10-2023, 05:55 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetristres View Post
Anyway it seems that Calibre doesn't index Word files for full text search. This is a small drawback.
Eh, FTS does index DOCX files, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-11 074801.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	584.0 KB
ID:	200960

I don't recall doing anything to make it index them.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-10-2023 at 05:58 PM. Reason: wrong image
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 06:17 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlite View Post
Just to give you a different option:

I love and use Calibre for its designed purpose.
I'm also sure it can be used for a lot of things, that it was not meant to handle explicitly.

But...

If you really want a Document Management System, especially one that can handle scans of documents, than you should take a look at Paperless.

It can help with scanns in ways that Calibre can not.
Calibre is totally brilliant as a library and tool chest for eBooks, but a real document management system is rather different, though like Calibre it has a GUI, a files system you shouldn't access directly (with computer generated and scanned paper documents) and a database. It also likely adds barcodes or QR codes to stuff emailed or printed so if it comes back with writing on it the scanning automatically tracks it.
It will be multi-user with variable privileges (Calibre is single user), it will track changes and have the different versions (electronic or scanned) available with who changed what.
It might have approvals too.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 07:45 AM   #13
msel
Connoisseur
msel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the husk

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
I use Calibre as a personal document management system also. I store my
- scanned invoices, letters