Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2024, 11:26 PM   #1
1ily
1ily doesn't litter1ily doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Database Corruptions & Backups

Hello!

I'm on the latest version but I'm still getting database corruptions every week. Has anyone else been having this issue? Not sure why it happens.

I have backups of my database, but my annotations, bookmarks, saved words, and reading progress don't transfer over when I copy over the DBs. Does anyone have any tips? Am I missing something?

I copy over the BookReader.sqlite and KoboReader.sqlite files instead of everything Calibre backs up, but that should be sufficient.

If it makes any difference, I do written annotations in my sideloaded ebooks

Error received on the latest database corruption:
row 10224 missing from index sqlite_autoindex_content_1
non-unique entry in index sqlite_autoindex_content_1
row 10248 missing from index sqlite_autoindex_content_1
non-unique entry in index sqlite_autoindex_content_1
row 10273 missing from index sqlite_autoindex_content_1

All database corruption errors follow similar errors with missing rows

Any help is appreciated, thank you.
1ily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 11:33 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
That pattern of database corruption is generally an issue with the USB connection (a flaky cable, not safely ejecting, etc.). What does a database check show (either the check database from Kobo Utilities or an external SQLite application). Using SQLite Expert Personal, I tend to use the database check then vacuum and then re-index all tables which will help with some minor issues.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2024, 11:43 PM   #3
1ily

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That pattern of database corruption is generally an issue with the USB connection (a flaky cable, not safely ejecting, etc.). What does a database check show (either the check database from Kobo Utilities or an external SQLite application). Using SQLite Expert Personal, I tend to use the database check then vacuum and then re-index all tables which will help with some minor issues.
I have been using DB Browser SQLite, but I'll make the switch to SQLite Expert Personal and follow those steps the next time

I've been safely ejecting my Kobo, but my apple cable is maybe 6 years old. The rubber near the connectors still cover the wires, so I assumed it was fine. I'll look into getting a replacement

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by 1ily; 09-24-2024 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2024, 11:59 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since SQLite Expert Personal is a Windows only program, I think that if you use the DB Browser SQLite, compact is equivalent to vacuum, Integrity Check would be equivalent to check database and Optimize would be closest to Reindex all tables without manually running REINDEX.
Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM   #5
1ily

I swapped out my cables and tried adding more eBooks to it (mix of epub and pdf). I got a "CorruptError: database disk image is malformed" after plugging it in and out a few times.

I safely ejected every time and made sure no processes were ongoing. I'm always plugging it in when my eReader is displaying my home screen.

Database check returned this (it's actually much longer and I've shortened it)
Quote:
Result of running 'PRAGMA integrity_check' on database on the Kobo device:

*** in database main ***
Tree 38 page 38 cell 0: invalid page number 218103808
Tree 35 page 35 cell 0: invalid page number 17214
Tree 47 page 47 cell 0: invalid page number 17213
Tree 3 page 3 cell 62: Rowid 12766 out of order
Tree 3 page 3 cell 61: Rowid 12534 out of order
Tree 80 page 14429 cell 4: 2nd reference to page 802
Tree 80 page 14429 cell 3: 2nd reference to page 934
Tree 80 page 80 cell 9: invalid page number 16238
Tree 80 page 80 cell 9: Child page depth differs
Tree 80 page 12179 cell 8: invalid page number 16689
Tree 80 page 12179 cell 9: invalid page number 16674
Tree 80 page 12179 cell 8: invalid page number 16662
Tree 80 page 12179 cell 7: invalid page number 16648
Tree 80 page 12179 cell 6: invalid page number 16633
I've fixed it by uploading a backup database I had, but do you have any ideas why this would happen or how to prevent it?
Advert
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist

If you have upgraded to firmware 4.38.23038 on your Libra 2, I'm out of ideas as to what can be causing your database corruption. Perhaps going to what I used on my Sage before the firmware update to the 4.38 version and reboot your Kobo before connecting to your computer. This was done using NickelMenu.
Old Today, 09:44 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ily View Post
I swapped out my cables and tried adding more eBooks to it (mix of epub and pdf). I got a "CorruptError: database disk image is malformed" after plugging it in and out a few times.

I safely ejected every time and made sure no processes were ongoing. I'm always plugging it in when my eReader is displaying my home screen.

Database check returned this (it's actually much longer and I've shortened it)

I've fixed it by uploading a backup database I had, but do you have any ideas why this would happen or how to prevent it?
Did you do a proper eject before you've unplugged from the computer?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:21 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ily View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you do a proper eject before you've unplugged from the computer?
Jon, please read the messages you are responding to.