Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old Yesterday, 11:33 PM   #1
dkinor
dkinor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkinor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkinor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkinor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkinor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkinor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkinor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkinor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkinor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkinor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkinor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe 1st Gen
5.16.21 KPW Signature (JB+Hotfix) - KOReader + KUAL auto-removed from /documents

Just a warning:

I have a jailbroken Kindle Paperwhite Signature (11th gen) 32GB that I updated to 5.16.21. Following directions here (https://fw.notmarek.com/khf/ - at my own risk, I know!) to update to 5.16.21, and then installing HF hotfix, HF MRPI, KUAL, KOReader, and KOL asap booklet, and installing/applying coversetter and BinaryRenamer, I decided to connect to WiFi and register with Amazon. Discovered that Amazon has ability (whether through registration, or through latest firmware) to go into my /documents folder, and remove the KUAL.kual and KOReader.kol files (making KUAL and KOReader inaccessible from my Kindle PW's GUI). My fix was to reinstall everything (starting with hotfix).

I was able to replicate this issue (and fix) with my Kindle Oasis 3 (10th).

I tried downgrading to do a clean install of 5.16.2 using instructions on this site and the RUNME.sh script, and got an error during the update process (UPDATE ERROR: 11).

Not cool, Amazon (who owns this device, and the documents in the /documents folder, btw?)!

Questions to the communithy:
1. Is there some additional binary in the .21 FW version that can go into the /documents directory and remove specific files? Or, some other mechanism for Amazon to remove my files in /documents directory?
2. Any thoughts as to workaround to make downgrade possible?

Thanks in advance for any info!
dkinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:19 AM   #2
Marek
Zealot
Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4 :(, KT5, PW5
Documents gets wiped during de/registration i think there's a flag file you can make to skip it.
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 03:40 AM   #3
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
From /usr/sbin/deleteUserContent ,
create an empty file without extension in /var/local/system/ called DONT_DELETE_CONTENT_ON_DEREGISTRATION

Haven’t tested it though (FW 5.16.21, Kindle Scribe)
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote