Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-29-2018, 12:53 AM   #1
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Linux baby needs help to install Calibre

Hi you guys,

Running a windows pc 24/7 is not friendly to electricity bill. So, a friend of mine gave me a Rasberry Pi 2. .

I've read else where that Raspbian can't install Calibre, so I managed to install Ubuntu Mate on a 16GB sdcard.

Running the command line on Calibre mannual

Code:
sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sudo sh /dev/stdin
and it says I have an ARM system and it needs x86 instead.

So I moved to the end of the end of the manual page and run
Code:
curl -L https://calibre-ebook.com/dist/src | tar xvJ 
cd calibre*
sudo python2 setup.py install
The first two lines were ok. The last did not do anything but a few lines that I can't understand. .

So I read on. And get to type "... install Calibre" in the Terminal. And it calibre was installed.... but the version is 2.55. I want 3.x

Could you please point me where to go from here?
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:32 AM   #2
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I'm not sure of the status under all Raspberry Pi Distributions. I did have it running on a Pi 2 for a while a couple of years ago using Arch and calibre-get from the AUR, which is maintained by none other than our own eschwartz. This should install the latest version. Otherwise you need to pick a distribution that has a binary package, which if they exist at all are usually outdated and often problematic. I wouldn't recommend building from source if you can avoid it. I'd go with installing arch and using the aur build.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2018, 01:33 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Search the calibre forum for "Raspberry" threads, there are several, this is one of the more recent ones ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?t=299808&

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:12 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
So I moved to the end of the end of the manual page and run
Code:
curl -L https://calibre-ebook.com/dist/src | tar xvJ 
cd calibre*
sudo python2 setup.py install
The first two lines were ok. The last did not do anything but a few lines that I can't understand. .

So I read on. And get to type "... install Calibre" in the Terminal. And it calibre was installed.... but the version is 2.55. I want 3.x

Could you please point me where to go from here?
Installation instructions are here: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...er/INSTALL.rst

But you'll need to set up all of calibre's dependencies as well. This is trivial on Arch Linux ARM, which provides the latest version anyway but also provides calibre-git for building from source.

I don't know how to do that on Raspbian. I do know that you're basically doomed to old things though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I'm not sure of the status under all Raspberry Pi Distributions. I did have it running on a Pi 2 for a while a couple of years ago using Arch and calibre-get from the AUR, which is maintained by none other than our own eschwartz. This should install the latest version. Otherwise you need to pick a distribution that has a binary package, which if they exist at all are usually outdated and often problematic. I wouldn't recommend building from source if you can avoid it. I'd go with installing arch and using the aur build.
These days I also maintain the stable calibre release in the community repos, which ARM imports directly.

Anyway, either one should work.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote