Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
Price comparison between Kobo and Kindle

What's the general consensus here? I tried to purchase "Man's Search for Meaning", Kindle price is 5.57 and Kobo's is 16.18. I know it is just one book, just want to get some idea whether in most case this is true(kobo price> kindle). If that is the case, I'd rather switch to PW2. Most of books I read is non fiction

Thanks
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Depends where you live, depends what you read, depends whether you use a Kobo discount coupon. Use a 75% off coupon from the current contest and that book is cheaper at Kobo.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Depends where you live, depends what you read, depends whether you use a Kobo discount coupon. Use a 75% off coupon from the current contest and that book is cheaper at Kobo.
Thanks. Most of coupons are 35%.

btw, where I can apply coupons? after input giftcard number and click buy? I didn't see place to enter coupons and don't want to click buy now in case I pay full price

also, I found a lot book can only be purchased by credit card instead of gift card, is this correct? I didnt find giftcard option for pre-order

Last edited by Smartie; 05-09-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The obvious solution is to use whichever one you prefer for reading in general, and buy from both stores then strip the DRM (if applicable) and format-shift for your main ereader.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One thing to bear in mind is that Amazon's customer service is enormously better than Kobo's. If you buy a book from Amazon, you can return it within 7 days for a full refund; you can't return books to Kobo. If the book is updated (especially important for non-fiction book), Amazon will send you the updated version, while Kobo have no mechanism for updating books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
What's the general consensus here? I tried to purchase "Man's Search for Meaning", Kindle price is 5.57 and Kobo's is 16.18. I know it is just one book, just want to get some idea whether in most case this is true(kobo price> kindle). If that is the case, I'd rather switch to PW2. Most of books I read is non fiction

Thanks
Kobo is generally a little more expensive than Amazon but the example you quote is unusual. At present, in the US bookstore Man's Search for Meaning costs $10.78 and is eligible for discount coupons so the final price should be less.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:

btw, where I can apply coupons? after input giftcard number and click buy? I didn't see place to enter coupons and don't want to click buy now in case I pay full price

also, I found a lot book can only be purchased by credit card instead of gift card, is this correct? I didnt find giftcard option for pre-order
Kobo's Web site identifies books eligible for a discount coupon. On the left side of the screen there is a prompt reading "Eligible for promo codes". Click it and the books displayed will be reduced to only those that do accept discount coupons.

At the checkout screen there's a prompt for discount codes. Enter your code there and it will tell you if the discount is accepted or not.

Before you can complete a purchase at the Kobo online store it will prompt for confirmation and show you what you are buying and a breakdown of the cost. Should you disagree you can cancel at that point. The purchase is not completed until you click on that Confirm button.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
Smartie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Kobo is generally a little more expensive than Amazon but the example you quote is unusual. At present, in the US bookstore Man's Search for Meaning costs $10.78 and is eligible for discount coupons so the final price should be less.
Ok, then it is probably canadian thing.

In Kobo, it said

List Price $17.00
You Save: $0.79 (5%)
and I didn't find promo code
Old 05-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #9
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma, iPad, Samsung Galaxy A20
I am in Canada. I searched for Man's Search for Meaning. On the search results page I clicked on the title. On the page about the book that includes a synopsis I clicked on buy now. On the checkout page the "have a promo code?" box was there.
frddgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
On average I'd say amazon is cheaper, yet I can't remember the last time I bought a book on Kobo full price - and if I don't have at least a 50% coupon, I don't buy. Yes, I am spoiled, but if you have a look at the Kobo thread in the "Deals.." forum you will see why.

Quote:
Again, check the thread in the "Deals..." forum, you will find loads of coupons, even up to 90% (rare, but it happens).

Quote:
it depends on the browser, some have a new checkout, some still on the old one - in the new checkout you have to go past the first screen (don't worry, they won't charge you yet), and on the second screen you can enter the promo code - not all books are couponable, though if you are lucky enough to live in Mexico, virtually all books are couponable.

EDIT: one thing to look out for on Kobo is that some books are in pdf, and some are only available in Kobo proprietary kepub format (a sort of epub), so to read these you need an app... or follow eschwartz's advice!

Last edited by paola; 05-10-2014 at 02:06 PM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #11
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Why compare those specific sellers, surely it's more sensible to compare all the stores that'll work with a particular device? e.g. ePub prices versus Kindle/Mobi prices?

Somewhere like google books that sells Kobo compatible ePubs is often pretty competitive with Amazon on prices.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #12
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
My local Kobo store has numerous books by Penguin that are still not coupon eligible. All of these sorts of books are much, much cheaper on Amazon. I buy these books from Amazon for the Kindle app and discountable books from Kobo with the promo codes.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #13
Smartie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
Why compare those specific sellers, surely it's more sensible to compare all the stores that'll work with a particular device? e.g. ePub prices versus Kindle/Mobi prices?

Somewhere like google books that sells Kobo compatible ePubs is often pretty competitive with Amazon on prices.
Well,I didn't really compare specific seller,I tried to buy three books,two of them are like 16 dollar in kobo vs 6 in amazon.one I can find in amazon but not kobo(my years in General Motors)

I think buy a kindle basic along with kobo probably save money
Old 05-11-2014, 02:54 AM   #14
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
It is $9.39 in Turkey. No Amazon here.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:09 AM   #15
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo is almost always cheaper here, and often by a huge margin, once a promo code is included.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote