Notices

Old 03-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
iamagloworm
Connoisseur
iamagloworm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 (Manga)
ePubs not playing nice with Fastr Pro

Hi,

I've started using Fastr Pro (a RSVP reader). This is the only iOS app I could find that allows you to read books. Problem is that a lot of my books are converted to ePub from other ebook formats using calibre.

The result is a TOC that seems good in Calibre, but fastr pro doesn't work properly, ending in the annoying behaviour of losing my place half way through a book and not being able to get back there via the TOC.

It may be the fault of Fastr Pro, but I thought I'd ask here for advice on fixing the TOC. I tried to rebuild it with options in the Calibre conversion process, but it didn't make a difference.

Thanks!
iamagloworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamagloworm View Post
I've started using Fastr Pro (a RSVP reader). This is the only iOS app I could find that allows you to read books.
It's one of the few speed readings apps for iOS. However, there are lots of other free apps that work fine from iBooks for ePub3 books to Bluefire Reader for ePub2 books and apps based on it.
Try side-loading your book into one of these apps. If they still have the same TOC problems, describe the exact problems that you have.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2014, 12:50 AM   #3
iamagloworm
Connoisseur

thanks for the reply.

I see now that my message wasn't crystal clear.

I am after a RSVP (rapid serial visual presentation) reader for iOS that handles ebooks.

From my research, all RSVP apps except Fastr Pro can only be used for reading articles online.

I can't download Bluefire at the moment. I am on a shared 256kbs satellite connection. I will have marginally faster internet (512) in a few days time.

I did load one of the epubs that didn't work in Fastr Pro, into iBooks, and the TOC works normally.

If I load an epub that was originally produced in that format, it works fine. I am able to tap on TOC links and it takes me to that location in the book. If I load an ePub that has been converted from mobi for example, tapping on the TOC does nothing.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
There are several different TOC formats that have been grafted onto the EPUB format over the years, and it is possible that Fastr Pro supports only some of them. See if there's an HTML toc, an NCX TOC, a spine, and a guide. Create any of those pieces if they are missing.

(Look around on the forum if you need tools for uncompressing and recompressing EPUB files; they're basically just ZIP files, with some rules about the order of the files, and a requirement that they not include a bunch of optional data like file permissions.)
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
iamagloworm
Connoisseur

I ran ePubCheck on a sample and the error I got is below. Can you give some guidance on how to fix the toc.ncx?

Code:
ERROR: /Users/noir/Calibre Library/Robertson, Rachael/Leading on the Edge_ Extraordinary Stories and Leadership Insights from The World's Most Extrem (788)/Leading on the Edge_ Extraordinary Stories - Robertson, Rachael.epub/toc.ncx(26,72): assertion failed: different playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that refer to same target
ERROR: /Users/noir/Calibre Library/Robertson, Rachael/Leading on the Edge_ Extraordinary Stories and Leadership Insights from The World's Most Extrem (788)/Leading on the Edge_ Extraordinary Stories - Robertson, Rachael.epub/toc.ncx(31,74): assertion failed: different playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that refer to same target

Check finished with warnings or errors
Advert
Old 03-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You have two different items (with different Play Orders) pointing to the exact same target. Get rid of one of them.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@iamagloworm: In case you're wondering how to fix the play order:

1. Download Sigil and open the .epub file with it.
2. Press CTRL+T, click OK and save the file.

Note: If pressing CTRL+T, generates an empty TOC, you'll need to manually delete or update one of the page targets in the .ncx file in Sigil.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:23 AM   #8
iamagloworm
Connoisseur

Hi,

thanks for the help! Sigil is unable to generate any useful TOC, but I was able to simply remove a couple of navpoints from the beginning that had the same playorder (intro, preface, etc.). In that case the fix was relatively easy, but some other conversions have not responded so well.

I like calibre, but I am thinking it does not handle conversions so well. Is there an alternative?

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Actually, calibre usually does a fine job of conversion (once you master the necessary options/settings). Many don't like some of the coding/naming conventions employed, but that's mostly a question of aesthetics. It will create perfectly valid epubs. It's usually the devices/apps that don't handle things quite the way they should.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
iamagloworm
Connoisseur

yeah i figured. i have written to the developer.

i have also asked developers of other iOS RSVP apps to include support for ePubs.

it does seem like it is something calibre should be able to fix, but I guess I have high expectations.

I think I have fiddled with all the TOC related options, but which options are you referring to, in case I have missed it.

Cheers!
Old 03-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can you explain why you need to use this "RSVP" thing (which I have to confess I've never heard of) rather than a normal book reader?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #12
iamagloworm
Connoisseur

The RSVP system displays a single word, or a few small words for less than a second before moving onto the next. So you don't move your eyes, the word just appear in front of them.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:10 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That sounds like an exceedingly odd way to read a book!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #14
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It is for speed reading. They say it will double or triple your speed. I don't know for how long. I think that personally it would give me a headache in a few minutes.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #15
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Actually, calibre usually does a fine job of conversion (once you master the necessary options/settings).
However, if you do a round-trip epub-mobi-epub conversion*, all heading tags will be replaced by paragraphs with Calibre styles, which makes it impossible to automatically generate a TOC with Sigil.

* I'd never do this, but apparently some KDP authors managed to upload Calibre generated .mobi books to KDP.