Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old Today, 11:41 AM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
MathML support in calibre editor/previewer

I have a math book that I'm going through and want to replace math expressions that are rendered in image or SVG files with MathML equivalents.

I found this:

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/typesetting_math.html

However, while the ePub file downloaded from there previews and displays well in calibre viewer and editor preview, actual ePub software such as Apple Books or Thorium do not render it.

Conversely, when I create ePub with Sigil with a MathML example (attached) it does not render correctly in calibre viewer or editor previewer, but does so in Apple Books and Thorium reader.

So I do not understand the utility of using MathJax if only calibre reader / previewer handles it. It looks like I'll have to do this editing with Sigil and previewing there and with ePub apps like Thorium reader.

Am I missing something here?

I am guessing that adding the <script> stuff for MathJax would let me preview in calibre as well? and other reading apps would ignore it?
Attached Files
File Type: epub mathml.epub (2.0 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by tomsem; Today at 11:45 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:50 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Yes, looks like my guess was correct: I added the <script> reference to header and it previews now.

Perhaps the typesetting_math.html page could be updated to include a MathML example. It seems to me this is what most people will be doing as reading apps aren't going to support javascript solutions in general.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 12:02 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Why? Pretty much any browser based reader can and should support javascript. These days most of them are browser based, apart from e-ink ones. MathML is a royal pain to author its not designed for authoring, its more of a machine interchange format. But, that said you can put MathML into typsetting_math.html if you like and MathJax will render it for you just like it does ascii math.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote