Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old Today, 10:27 AM   #1
perkin5
perkin5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Sigil automatic splitting of document

In the past, when I have loaded an epub into Sigil, all the chapters or sections have been automatically split into separate files. I have just loaded an epub generated in Indesign and the whole book is in one file despite the fact that Kindle Previewer shows separate pages. I can see instances of:
Code:
<div id="page2" role="doc-pagebreak" aria-label="2" epub:type="pagebreak" />
but they have not split the file. I know I can do this manually by splitting at the cursor Ctrl+Enter but I want to do it automatically. There are several promising looking tools in the menu but I don't want to accidentally wreck the document. Can anyone advise?
perkin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:16 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Search&Replace those with the Sigil split marker: (it is on the tools menu)

<hr class="sigil_split_marker" />

Once done: F6 (executes the split)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 11:52 AM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
You probably do not want to split on every page break. Especially if this is not a fixed layout epub. Try looking for heading tags.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:59 PM   #4
perkin5

Many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Search&Replace those with the Sigil split marker: (it is on the tools menu)

<hr class="sigil_split_marker" />

Once done: F6 (executes the split)
The split marker is not on the tools menu in 2.0.0 but on the Insert menu, which foxed me for a bit! OK that works and many thanks. May I ask a supplementary - can I select text and then comment it out? There appears to be no toolbar button to do this in 2.0.0
Old Today, 01:03 PM   #5
perkin5

Yes, maybe you are right - I do want some page breaks in the front matter of my book but the manual job is then much less.
Advert
Old Today, 03:12 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15/11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
To comment in HTML, place a <!-- tag before the comment text and a --> tag after the comment text. In Sigil you can create a clip like this:
Quote:
<!--\1-->
So all you need to do is highlight the section you want commented out and click on the clip.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:15 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by perkin5 View Post
The split marker is not on the tools menu in 2.0.0 but on the Insert menu, which foxed me for a bit! OK that works and many thanks. May I ask a supplementary - can I select text and then comment it out? There appears to be no toolbar button to do this in 2.0.0
My bad. I slipped menus.

You can just paste that string into the Replace.
You are not limited to that original pattern. Any Search can me used. Just be careful when using Replace All. I sometime use Replace-Next and skip (click find) if needed.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub 3.0, indesign cc, sigil