Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old Today, 07:50 AM   #1
-Palamedes-
-Palamedes- began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Converting PDF Book to AZW3 - Massive file size!

I'm trying to convert the Ashley Book of Knots to some sort of eBook file.

The book is freely available online as a pdf, eg here:

https://archive.org/details/TheAshleyBookOfKnots

It's a large pdf file - 42mb.

I've tried to convert this to AZW3 using Calibre, and it's produced a file that is 147mb and won't load in Calibre's viewer (which I think may be due to the large file size).

The book is illustrated throughout with simple monochrome line drawings.

Can anyone help me or suggest what I should look at to try and resolve this?

Thanks a lot.
-Palamedes- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:55 PM   #2
Foozle
Connoisseur
Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Foozle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Don't convert it. As has been noted before multiple times and in the Calibre manual, PDF is the worst format to convert from.

Because archive.org is currently down, the file can't be accessed to view it. However, from what you're describing, it sounds like a heavily image-based document. If so, that's your problem. All it does it take the pages and convert them to images in the ebook.

If you want an actual, proper ebook, you would have to find one already formatted as such, or do a bunch of extra work to get it the way you want.

Otherwise, your best bet is to just keep it as PDF.
Foozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert