Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-23-2016, 06:09 AM   #1
Derson47
Derson47 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Broken Kobo Glo Screen

Hey Guys!
i just broke my kobo glo screen, and i need some guides to ajust the screen size, so i can use the other part of the screen that is still ok.
The touch screen is still working, even on the part that is broken.

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapchat-9047975063167781600.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	149613  

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-23-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Derson47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:06 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The E-Ink glass substrate has broken. I don't think there's any way to adjust the way the screen is used to avoid the broken area.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
You can search in the Flea Market forum section for a replacement. It's quite easy. The difficult part is to find a screen at a reasonable price. PS: use Paypal
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:15 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
You can add a @page margin that will allow you to read ePub books without the broken part of the screen being used. To see if this approach is suitable you can test it by adding line like this to the book's stylesheet (add it to the bottom of the stylesheet so that it overrides any @page margin set by the publisher):
Code:
@page {
  margin-top: 40mm;
}
Adjust the 40mm length to match the size of the broken part of the screen.

If you find this is workable for you, then you can either set up Calibre to add the @page margin to the stylesheet automatically when you sideload books, or I can help with a firmware patch that does the same thing without needing to edit the books. (The only advantage of the patch is that it works with DRM ePub books too.)

Although this method should work to restrict the content of the book to the working part of the screen, it won't help with the TOC, dictionary, top menus, etc. It also won't work with KePub books.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2016, 02:37 AM   #6
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
You could try aliexpress if the screen is cheap and the port free...
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:38 PM   #7
casaprocida
casaprocida began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
You can add a @page margin that will allow you to read ePub books without the broken part of the screen being used. To see if this approach is suitable you can test it by adding line like this to the book's stylesheet (add it to the bottom of the stylesheet so that it overrides any @page margin set by the publisher):
Code:
@page {
  margin-top: 40mm;
}
Adjust the 40mm length to match the size of the broken part of the screen.

If you find this is workable for you, then you can either set up Calibre to add the @page margin to the stylesheet automatically when you sideload books, or I can help with a firmware patch that does the same thing without needing to edit the books. (The only advantage of the patch is that it works with DRM ePub books too.)

Although this method should work to restrict the content of the book to the working part of the screen, it won't help with the TOC, dictionary, top menus, etc. It also won't work with KePub books.
@GeoffR. What about your patch, i have similar problem and it is very wonder for me fix it with this kind of patch

UPDATE.Finded post regarding patch. But ... Can i install android and use screen rotation to fix my problem?
Any idea?

Last edited by casaprocida; 09-16-2016 at 05:25 PM.
casaprocida is offline   Reply With Quote