Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2023, 06:04 AM   #1
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
Dealing with Adobe DRM eBooks from other stores?

This might be a weird question, but so far I've managed to stay clear from any DRM infested files but I'm looking at purchasing some books for which I've not been able to source drm free sources and from outside the Kobo ecosystem.

Do I need to wrangle with Adobe Digital Editions 3.0 on a Windows PC to use those files or can the Kobo (or PocketBook) handle those things on their own?
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 08:16 AM   #2
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Too many) Kobo(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_Re View Post
This might be a weird question, but so far I've managed to stay clear from any DRM infested files but I'm looking at purchasing some books for which I've not been able to source drm free sources and from outside the Kobo ecosystem.

Do I need to wrangle with Adobe Digital Editions 3.0 on a Windows PC to use those files or can the Kobo (or PocketBook) handle those things on their own?
Assuming you don't want to take out the DRM:

- With Kobo, you need ADE (Desktop) to redeem the epub from the acsm file, and then you can sideload the epub file to your Kobo (which needs to be authorized with your Adobe ID).

- With PocketBook (I'm not sure if this feature is available for all their models or only on some), you can sideload the acsm file directly to the device and (as long as it's connected to wifi+authorized with Adobe ID) it will redeem the epub file.
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2023, 08:34 AM   #3
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lys View Post
Assuming you don't want to take out the DRM:
I wouldn't dare to make that assumption But you need to go from acsm to epub first I guess.

Quote:
- With Kobo, you need ADE (Desktop) to redeem the epub from the acsm file, and then you can sideload the epub file to your Kobo (which needs to be authorized with your Adobe ID).

- With PocketBook (I'm not sure if this feature is available for all their models or only on some), you can sideload the acsm file directly to the device and (as long as it's connected to wifi+authorized with Adobe ID) it will redeem the epub file.
So it should be doable with the Pocketbook only? Good, that spares me the work of setting up a PC or VM with Windows, I'm assuming I should be able to dedrm afterwards starting from there?
Old 04-15-2023, 08:52 AM   #4
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Too many) Kobo(s)
Quote:
I wouldn't dare to make that assumption But you need to go from acsm to epub first I guess.
Yes, but you can do it without having to install ADE. There's a Calibre Plugin that is able to redeem the epub file from the acsm (you need to inform your Adobe ID credentials).
Actually, you can use ACSM plugin regardless of DRM removal. Still, you need a PC for this.

Quote:
So it should be doable with the Pocketbook only? Good, that spares me the work of setting up a PC or VM with Windows, I'm assuming I should be able to dedrm afterwards starting from there?
As far as I know, only Pocketbook has that utility as of now (and e-ink Android, I would assume, since they should be able to run ADE application directly).
Once you have the epub, you can use the usual plugins to dedrm (if you use Calibre+ACSM plugin+dedrm everything would be done when importing the file into Calibre).
I'm not sure how Pocketbook handles the DRM-protected files on the device itself (if you can sideload them back to Calibre or whatever)
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 10:06 AM   #5
Amon_Re
Zealot

Quote:
Yes, but you can do it without having to install ADE. There's a Calibre Plugin that is able to redeem the epub file from the acsm (you need to inform your Adobe ID credentials).
Actually, you can use ACSM plugin regardless of DRM removal. Still, you need a PC for this.
Wow, this works like a charm! Groovy!
Advert
Old 04-15-2023, 12:57 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Couldn't you use the ACSM plug-in with Calibre on Linux?

Edit: I guess you would need Windows or Mac to install ADE so you can create a sign-in?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 01:17 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

Edit: I guess you would need Windows or Mac to install ADE so you can create a sign-in?
The sign-in is the UN/PW of your Adobe.com account.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 02:16 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

No, you don't. It can "just work" on Linux. See the Documentation. Though my sign-in created ages ago on XP and never used since still works when I tried it recently on a Win 10 VM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 02:40 PM   #9
Frisbee
Frisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Libra H20
[QUOTE=Lys;4314789]Yes, but you can do it without having to install ADE. There's a Calibre Plugin that is able to redeem the epub file from the acsm (you need to inform your Adobe ID credentials).

How do I do this? When I import to Calibre it doesn't recognise the file. It tells me to download a program that can read it.
Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 03:10 PM   #10
Amon_Re
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbee View Post
How do I do this? When I import to Calibre it doesn't recognise the file. It tells me to download a program that can read it.
I followed the instructions on the git page.
Old 04-15-2023, 03:12 PM   #11
Frisbee
Frisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to beholdFrisbee is a splendid one to behold

I followed the instructions and still getting this message in Calibre:
calibre, version 6.15.1
ERROR: No associated program: Windows will try to open Ralston The-Genius-of-Being 978 - Unknown.acsm with calibre itself resulting in a duplicate in your calibre library. You should install some program capable of viewing this file format and tell Windows to use that program to open files of this type.
Old 04-15-2023, 03:35 PM   #12
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
If you don't want to use a PC, you can do it from your smartphone. Download the .acsm on your smartphone from the corresponding web page, open it with any DRM-enabled App (I use PocketBook) and share it with your e-reader by any of the available wireless means (Dropbox, email...) or by a USB cable from your smartphone to the e-reader. The Adobe ID of the App must be the same as the one you use on your e-reader.

(In the case of PocketBook devices, the Adobe ID is managed from the e-reader itself without having to connect to a PC and you can have several at the same time. In the case of Kobo devices I believe they have to be authorised from the PC and can only have one Adobe ID).
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 04:01 PM   #13
Amon_Re
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbee View Post

I followed the instructions and still getting this message in Calibre:
calibre, version 6.15.1
ERROR: No associated program: Windows will try to open Ralston The-Genius-of-Being 978 - Unknown.acsm with calibre itself resulting in a duplicate in your calibre library. You should install some program capable of viewing this file format and tell Windows to use that program to open files of this type.
Not sure I'm understanding your post correctly? I didn't install ADE (as it doesn't run on Linux).
Old 04-15-2023, 05:51 PM   #14
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I didn't install ADE (as it doesn't run on Linux).
People who don't want to mess with the ACSM plugin in Calibre can run ADE in Linux via WINE. That's how I deal with Kobo books on Linux Mint.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 03:43 AM   #15
Frisbee

Quote:
Not sure I'm understanding your post correctly? I didn't install ADE (as it doesn't run on Linux).
I followed all instruction on the ACSM Plugin link/ git link and I'm still getting above Error message. The book imports as an ACSM file into Calibre. I can't put it on my device despite importing activation from ADE and enabling my device through the plugin.

Am I missing something in the import phase? Do I need to import it in a certain way? So far I've just been importing it through the Add Books button.

Thanks in advance.