Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-26-2022, 06:21 AM   #1
eddie.t.h
Groupie
eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Too Much Kindle :-)
5.14.1 locked kernel?

Hello!
I connected via terminal to my pw4 running 5.14.1 software and discovered something scary. In this software there is no console for emergency FAT partition sharing and software reload. It looks like the last way to repair these devices yourself has been cut off.
Shame on Amazon!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	serialdump.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	191897  
eddie.t.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:37 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There goes jailbreaks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2022, 09:15 AM   #3
eddie.t.h
Groupie
eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Yes, but when the device falls into bootloop jailbreak will not help.

Last edited by eddie.t.h; 01-26-2022 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:02 PM   #4
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie.t.h View Post
Hello!
I connected via terminal to my pw4 running 5.14.1 software and discovered something scary. In this software there is no console for emergency FAT partition sharing and software reload. It looks like the last way to repair these devices yourself has been cut off.
Shame on Amazon!
recovery-util is presumably still there somewhere as it's needed to apply firmware updates (unless this has changed recently?) - what happens if you keep pressing Enter around this point in booting?

It's not even the biggest d*ck move we've seen from Amazon on the newer models; having Secure Boot enabled and a locked bootloader means that it's impossible to load even an Amazon signed U-Boot or kernel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There goes jailbreaks.
He says with such confidence
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:16 PM   #5
eddie.t.h
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
recovery-util is presumably still there somewhere as it's needed to apply firmware updates (unless this has changed recently?) - what happens if you keep pressing Enter around this point in booting?
Unfortunately, pressing Enter does not give anything. Interestingly, after loading the system, there is also no login screen. I do not know if this was already the case in previous versions of the Android Kindle?

If there is firmware on the fat partition, then after the reboot, the installation is automatically attempted as before. The problem will be when the system does not start for some reason.
Advert
Old 09-23-2024, 08:11 AM   #6
SenorClean
SenorClean began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PW3, PW4(Bricked)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie.t.h View Post
Yes, but when the device falls into bootloop jailbreak will not help.
Did you guys ever find a solution? I'm stuck in a bootloop on my PW4 (was just running stock fw!) and I'm on a version that doesn't have the recovery mode prompt.

I'd love to just mount the internal storage and feed it a clean image!
SenorClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2024, 09:20 AM   #7
Marek
Zealot
Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4 :(, KT5, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorClean View Post
Did you guys ever find a solution? I'm stuck in a bootloop on my PW4 (was just running stock fw!) and I'm on a version that doesn't have the recovery mode prompt.

I'd love to just mount the internal storage and feed it a clean image!
You are SOL. <3 amazon
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote