Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
Sami
Sami began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch, Sony 350
Series_Index search

I'm trying to create a "to buy" virtual library based on the latest book I own in the series (of which I have over 900) and cannot seem to come up with a search term that will get me only the last book.

I can get a search of all the first or 25th books but I need something along the lines of series_index:last, is this possible?
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It isn't possible -- custom columns don't know the value of other book records.

You could access those records with a plugin or a calibre-debug.exe script which writes static data to a custom column -- this has been used before, to good effect, for e.g. formatting series with one leading zero if books<10 and two leading zeroes if 10<=books<100

But I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish, nor how.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Sami - have a look at Add Books->Add empty books, what I do is to add empty books for my 'to buy' list, the Add Empty books has provision for series.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quality Check PI: Check Series Gaps might help some
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:45 PM   #5
Sami

So here's a solution I came up with that might explain what I was going for better.

I created a column named series completion, with a drop down menu of completed, stalled, and ongoing. I'm working my way through each series and on the last book I own I'm giving it one of those 3 options.

Now when it comes time to buy I can go to the menu (tag browser?) on the left and click on ongoing. Those books tell me which authors are likely to have new books out and whether the advertised new release is a year old and I've already got it.

I was trying to find a shortcut using search to do the marking part but there does not seem to be one. Thanks for the help tho.
Advert
Old 09-24-2015, 04:22 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I'd suggest using Add Empty Book to add a blank book which tracks each Wishlist book. Tag it as "wishlist" and search on that.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I'd suggest using Add Empty Book to add a blank book which tracks each Wishlist book. Tag it as "wishlist" and search on that.
Pick this one

You can use the Add from List Plugin to scrape a series members (I use Fantastic Fiction as the metadata source)
use the option to force it to match Missing Books
click the Icon on the right to create empty books
When you click Finish the new records will be shown 'Marked', simply Bulk add your wishlist tag
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
Sami

Ok I may have to try that since I (had) reading list already, but seeing as my harddrive decided to bork yesterday I'm gonna be working on just getting a working library again. I'll start another thread for that seeing as the situation seems different from past threads I can find and has nothing to do with this subject.