Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-31-2023, 06:24 AM   #511
Fyde
Fyde is on a distinguished road

Device: Android
Just wanted to share another way to make this work on Linux, for me the Android Emulator refused to run ARM virtual machines so I used Genymotion, it's x86 but it has an ARM translation layer.

- Register and install Genymotion (it's free for personal use, just skip the payment step)
- Create a new device, I used a Google Pixel 3 with Nougat 7.1, others may work
- Search for "Genymotion_ARM_Translation", download the 7.X version and install it by dragging it on the emulator screen
- Install the Kindle apk by dragging it on the screen, I used 4.16.0.75 like mentioned in the OP
- Now you can follow the normal steps to backup the key and move the books with adb, you can get the adb address on the window title of the emulator, for me it was 127.0.0.1:6555

(If it asks to set a password for the backup, leave it empty, after you can use adb pull to move the books out of the emulator)
Fyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 06:13 PM   #512
Ande85
Ande85 began at the beginning.

Device: Bluestacks 5
Discovered something of interest slightly. Turns out that using a dash, or not using a dash, tends to make a big difference. To make things simple, I will include a list of what happens whenever I enter in a certain command using Bluestacks Nougat 64-bit as an example.

adb backup full: 1KB file

adb backup -full: Backup screen won't appear

adb backup all: 1KB file

adb backup -all: 39KB file

While the fourth example will vary up to 49KB depending on the firmware, I'm sure there is a running motif here...the backup keeps failing...it needs to be several MB in size. What can I do to make it work, so I can extract the android key? Also, for those who are wondering why I don't just try entering "adb backup com.amazon.kindle" it's because it fails no matter what version of the firmware I am using...even if I'm using an actual android phone. >_>
Ande85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2024, 08:41 AM   #513
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Seriously don't know why you're still beating your head against this brick wall.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 03:25 PM   #514
Ande85
Ande85 began at the beginning.

Device: Bluestacks 5
Personally I blame it on having Asperger's (which tends to explain a lot), but probably more of the fact that I'm curious as to why I can no longer do something I used to be able to do (think of it as a tech version of solving a Rubik's cube). Also it turns out having Windows for Linux enabled may have been what caused Hyper V not to work in the first place, and had nothing to do with Windows 11 at all, since the problems I had on Windows 11 came back on Windows 10 once I installed and enabled it...interesting.

Anyway, reading from the subtext, I assume you want me to quit talking about it, and let it go already...right? Kind of strange since this thread is about getting it to work, but I don't want to tire anyone out on my problems, so I have no problems being quiet about it from now on.
Ande85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 04:06 PM   #515
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ande85 View Post
Also, for those who are wondering why I don't just try entering "adb backup com.amazon.kindle" it's because it fails no matter what version of the firmware I am using..
One possibility that comes to mind is that you may have more than one Android emulator running and ADB may not be connecting to BlueStacks at all. Windows 11 has Android emulation available through WSA (Windows System for Android) with the Amazon app store and as far as I can tell that emulator does not allow ADB backup.

Quote:
...even if I'm using an actual android phone. >_>
I you are using a version of the Kindle app newer than 4.17 on your phone it is not going to work since later versions have backup disabled.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2024, 09:52 PM   #516
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Noone is making read me this thread so carry on. I know I only tried this method myself to see if I could. Always good to have a backup if other ways stop working again.

Last edited by lkmiller; 01-03-2024 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:17 AM   #517
riverz
riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Anyway, reading from the subtext, I assume you want me to quit talking about it, and let it go already...right? Kind of strange since this thread is about getting it to work, but I don't want to tire anyone out on my problems, so I have no problems being quiet about it from now on.
No, please keep posting how you're going with it. I'm curious as well. It's all informative.
riverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 02:15 AM   #518
aekalaivan12
aekalaivan12 began at the beginning.

Device: android kindle
I followed the instruction..downloaded the given android kindle version. Its running on nougat 32 bit bluestack player.. But when I try to download the purchased books, I cant download any of those. I could only download the personal documents. My backup.ab file size is 163 MB. What I am doing wrong? Someone help me out plz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle.png
Views:	99
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	205666  
aekalaivan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:25 PM   #519
lkmiller
Laura

Sounds like the party is over for this method then. Or at least for the books you were trying to download. Were they newly published books? Mind sharing an ASIN?
Old 01-08-2024, 09:04 PM   #520
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The method still works for me. Using latest calibre version with deDRM 10.0.0.9, Bluestacks App Player 5.11.1.1004 P64 and K4A updated to 8.51.1.0 (1.3.272119.0). I've downloaded several books published since 2023-Jan-06.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 09:45 PM   #521
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Works for me too, with books published this January.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 09:57 PM   #522
aekalaivan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Sounds like the party is over for this method then. Or at least for the books you were trying to download. Were they newly published books? Mind sharing an ASIN?
Indian tamil language books..Tested with 2022 published books also..emulator is Bluestack 10. I am able to download using the K4PC method. Regarding android method, I tried 8.51 also..I deleted all the other devices. Made it default device. I could not download a single book
Old 01-08-2024, 11:12 PM   #523
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Books for the Indian market tend to be KFX-only and have stricter DRM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
As far as I'm aware, pretty much all, or at least a majority, of books in certain Indian languages are KFX-only. I'm not sure if KFX has better support for the languages (though your book seems to be English) or if there's some weird rights stuff going on there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It is a bit of both. Indian language books are only available in KFX as only that format supports features needed for those such as specific fonts.

In addition some publishers of English language books published in India have a deal with Amazon that their books are only made available in KFX format with strong DRM. It has been that way for awhile. I don’t know if that is a trial planned for expansion worldwide or if the Indian market is felt to be especially subject to piracy.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 07:17 AM   #524
aekalaivan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Books for the Indian market tend to be KFX-only and have stricter DRM.
Thats the case i guess..Thank you.
Old 01-09-2024, 07:55 PM   #525
riverz
riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by aekalaivan12 View Post
Thats the case i guess..Thank you.
If you give the Amazon ASIN number for the book, I'm sure someone here can easily tell you if it can be done.
riverz is offline   Reply With Quote