Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old Today, 03:31 PM   #1
Daniele Giampà
Daniele Giampà began at the beginning.

Device: none
EPUB container

Hello

I have a question about a video that I embedded in the introduction of my EPUB3 ebook "Tape Mark 3": https://edgedpub.com/sample_work_6.php

The EPUB-Checker shows me 2 errors (see attachment) that are related to the video on line 173 of the file introduction.xhtml.

<div>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8i7uFCK7G0o" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
</div>

I looked for explanations about Error RSC-006 regarding the EPUB container.
On the web page Anatomy of an EPU3 file I read that the file container.xml is in the folder META-INF.

I have 3 questions:

1) Is there a problem with the iframe?

2) What does it mean that I have to "locate the resource in the EPUB container"?

3) How do I insert the video in the manifest? How do I write this line of code for the video?

<item id="..." href="..." media-type="video/..."/>

Thank you for your help.
Daniele
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	video.png
Views:	9
Size:	469.3 KB
ID:	210059   Click image for larger version

Name:	container.png
Views:	9
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	210061  
Daniele Giampà is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:31 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
1) Maybe. If the video was in the ebook, you'd not need an iFrame.
2) The video is a link to YouTube. You do that on a Website. The video needs to be in the ebook, (which makes it interactive media and not really an ebook)
3) You need a video file, not a link, so, no href except to a file actually in the ebook.

You have not embedded a video in an ebook. You have used epub3 as if it's a web-page. You have only put a link to a video. You need the actual video file.

An ebook might have a link to a publisher's web site or something. But the actual ebook, entire, has to work on its own without the internet, otherwise you might as well offer a link to a website with the iframe and whatever else is in the ebook.

Most distributors of ebooks and ereaders and ereader apps won't do video.

You can do loads of stuff with epub3, but not all of it makes sense as an ebook.

Putting a link to a video isn't embedding a video. It's embedding a link:
viz:

The above is your link embedded. The video isn't embedded on MobileRead but is still on YouTube.

Last edited by Quoth; Today at 04:34 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 04:54 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Epub container is the zip file with all the resources.

Rename an epub to zip and an archive program will show all the files. However better to use Sigil to craft an epub3, if that's what you really need, rather than try to assemble the parts into an archive.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote