Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
goldiefur
goldiefur began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
about to buy another kindle (for mom) important question

I need to know if I buy a book for my Kindle can I send it to my moms kindle for her use or do we have to pay twice for the book? If I am able to send her the book for free is there a limited time she can read the book?
goldiefur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you are willing to share a Kindle account, all your Kindle ebooks will be available on both Kindles. The most significant downside to this is one credit card at a time for Kindle purchases, but you only need buy an ebook once to cover both Kindles.

Alternatively, in October the Kindle Team said:
Quote:
Second, later this year, we will be introducing lending for Kindle, a new feature that lets you loan your Kindle books to other Kindle device or Kindle app users. Each book can be lent once for a loan period of 14-days and the lender cannot read the book during the loan period. Additionally, not all e-books will be lendable - this is solely up to the publisher or rights holder, who determines which titles are enabled for lending.
This above is similar to what has always been available on the B&N Nook. The year isn't over yet, but I would not be surprised if this does not appear before early next year.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
what he said... but also... if you do NOT de-register the kindle from the account, and your Mom makes her own account, you can have two accounts for the Kindle. I gave my son one of my Kindles, he registered it to his own name. he buys his own stuff, but periodically we re-register it to my account and he can have access to those books as well
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:34 AM   #4
goldiefur
goldiefur began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thank you! I was hoping they allowed this. The credit card won't be a problem because I will probably be the one buying the books for her anyway so this is great news. Thanks for the prompt responses!
goldiefur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
You just have to teach your mom not to buy books from the Kindle store via Kindle - it is so easy with this 1-click. I think she will not use Kindle Store and Web anyway but who knows?

If you keep her Kindle registered as a second Kindle on your account you can use the books simultaneously (or to send from one to other - I use Kindle4PC and Kindle2 and some books are locked to just one device at time of the reading).

Last edited by enkov; 12-04-2010 at 06:18 AM.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkov View Post
You just have to teach your mom not to buy books from the Kindle store via Kindle - it is so easy with this 1-click.
A good warning. Once I downloaded a sample of a $300 book, wanted to see what was so special about it. Then I pressed menu and by habit went to the table of contents and pressed on that. It turned out that in the sample, the "purchase" is in the place of the table of contents. I almost had a heart attack, when I saw that I bought the book. The good thing is that it is pretty easy to reverse the sale either on the Kindle or by calling the customer support.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
So what was so special about the $300 book?
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Don't forget about WhisperSync also. This won't be a problem unless you're both reading the same book at the same time.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
And you can have it not sync if you don't want it to.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:13 AM   #10
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
So what was so special about the $300 book?
Nothing. Right now it's on sale. You can get it now only for $230
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #11
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkov View Post
You just have to teach your mom not to buy books from the Kindle store via Kindle - it is so easy with this 1-click. I think she will not use Kindle Store and Web anyway but who knows?

If you keep her Kindle registered as a second Kindle on your account you can use the books simultaneously (or to send from one to other - I use Kindle4PC and Kindle2 and some books are locked to just one device at time of the reading).
I agree completely. I accidentally bought a book before I realized just how easy it was to buy though 1-click. Thankfully it was a book I had wanted to buy but I hadn't planned on buying right away. I love the book but it's easy to buy a book by mistake.

I bought a Kindle for my mom for Christmas and I'm just keeping her on my account simply because we like the same authors.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I knew it was easy to buy accidentally, and even after this thread last night I accidentally bought a $30 book. The buy was highlighted automatically. I typed in the authors name, the search was also highlighted, so I presses right, and next thing I had bought the book. I didn't even get it downloaded before I clicked off the cancel. I wonder if this is set up this way deliberately and people don't bother canceling cheaper books?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote