Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-28-2015, 05:05 AM   #1
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra Colour
Paperwhite 3 or Voyage?

So I'm looking into upgrading my Paperwhite 1 and I'm debating between the all-new Paperwhite and the Voyage. Both have 300 PPI displays. I know that one costs less than the other but money is not an issue, in other words, price won't be a factor in my decision. So how do the two differ or what are the pros/cons of each?

Or do you suggest that I hold off? Amazon usually releases new Kindles in September or October of each year, right? Do you think we'll see a new Kindle next month or in October? Or do you think because the Paperwhite was updated only 2 months ago that Amazon will not be coming out with one any time soon.

Last edited by Gazella; 08-29-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:10 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Voyage is slightly smaller and lighter, and has the haptic page turn 'buttons' at each side.

Since you already have a very good reader, I suggest waiting until Amazon either

(i) bring out a new model you feel you must have
(ii) offer the PW3 or Voyage at a reduced price.

Of course, it's always possible that (ii) will come shortly before (i). If you're in the US, it might well be worth waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales.

Or you could order the Voyage now, and see if it's enough of an upgrade from your old PW to be worth the money, and if not, just return to Amazon within 30 days.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2015, 05:22 AM   #3
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

pdurrant, the Voyage is smaller and lighter than the original Paperwhite? If so then that's great because looking at the photos of the Voyage I thought it would be bigger and would weigh a lot more.

I don't live in the US by the way.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:46 AM   #4
oblox
Zealot
oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (7th Gen)
Honestly if money isn't an object then Voyage, id love the buttons and nicer flush screen (although I do love my PW3). If you're not fussed about the Amazon ecosystem though (and like easily manageable collections) id definitely look at the Kobo Aura H20.
oblox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:15 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
pdurrant, the Voyage is smaller and lighter than the original Paperwhite? If so then that's great because looking at the photos of the Voyage I thought it would be bigger and would weigh a lot more.

I don't live in the US by the way.
If you're not in the US (or another country where you can easily return Amazon orders) then clearly the order and return isn't an option.

The Voyage is 162 mm x 115 mm x 7.6 mm and 180 grams
The PW3 is 169 mm x 117 mm x 9.1 mm and 205 grams.

So the Voyage is over 10% lighter and over 15% thinner, and little bit shorter and narrower.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2015, 06:27 AM   #6
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblox View Post
Honestly if money isn't an object then Voyage, id love the buttons and nicer flush screen (although I do love my PW3). If you're not fussed about the Amazon ecosystem though (and like easily manageable collections) id definitely look at the Kobo Aura H20.
Thanks. I'm heavily invested in Amazon and their ecosystem. I have a Kobo Aura HD but I rarely use it. I've encountered issues several times with purchasing from Kobo and so for me Amazon is a much better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If you're not in the US (or another country where you can easily return Amazon orders) then clearly the order and return isn't an option.

The Voyage is 162 mm x 115 mm x 7.6 mm and 180 grams
The PW3 is 169 mm x 117 mm x 9.1 mm and 205 grams.

So the Voyage is over 10% lighter and over 15% thinner, and little bit shorter and narrower.
Yes returns would be difficult. Part of me says to wait for the next but at the same time I really want a new Kindle (leaning towards the Voyage more because of the great reviews and ergonomic design). The Paperwhite 3 also received positive reviews from critics but I want a new design and the Voyage offers that.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:37 AM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
If money isn't an issue I'd go for the Voyage too, but I would wait for a little bit longer to see if they do release an updated version of the Voyage first. You are correct that Amazon normally release new models in September/October (perhaps they pushed forward the release of the PW3 to June to combat the release of the Kobo Glo HD?), and there might not be an update to the Voyage until the middle or second half of next year, but you'd only have to wait another month or two to find out.

FWIW, the release dates of recent Kindles:

Kindle Touch Sep 2011

Kindle 4 Sep 2011
Kindle 5 Sep 2012
Kindle 7 Oct 2014

PW1 Oct 2012
PW2 Sep 2013
PW3 Jun 2015

Voyage Oct 14
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:12 AM   #8
Gazella
Wizard

Thank you for the replies everyone. I think it's best that I wait till October. Even though I feel Amazon won't be releasing one that soon. Maybe Q2 or Q3 of next year but in a month or two? I don't think it's happening. I will wait regardless.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:07 AM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
They might release a new Voyage. The new PW3 screen-specs equal the Voyage, so Amazon might release an updated Voyage to differentiate the otherwise very similar devices.

If you have the PW2, it's not really "worth" upgrading at the moment. The new models are not a major improvement.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #10
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Voyage and a Paperwhite 2 (not a PW3) and I can't really tell the difference with the higher resolution. I realize some people can but I can't. Also I find I don't care for the page press thing or the self-adjusting light and I leave those turned off. So basically my Voyage is a smaller and lighter Paperwhite to me.

Still, I'm very glad I have it. It feels better in my hand. I just enjoy it more. I sometimes read on the Paperwhite just to compare but I always go back to the Voyage. My next one will probably be a Voyage, too, assuming it's as small and light as this one.

By the way, even though the difference in the weight is only one ounce the difference in the size means the Voyage cover is a lot lighter as well. I use inexpensive covers on both of them, selected for their light weight. And yet, just estimating by the way it feels, I think the Voyage in it's cover probably weighs close to half the weight of the Paperwhite in it's cover. So the weight difference is more than you'd think.

Also, since the Voyage screen is glass I feel better about not using it in a cover.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #11
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
I would often read my Voyage when doing the dishes. Taping the screen with soapy fingers doesn't really work, but instead, I use the eraser-end of a pencil to press the haptic buttons. I wouldn't be able to do this at all with a buttonless paperwhite.

Now, if amazon would come out with a waterproof version of the voyage, then the haptic buttons would be even more important (capacitive screens don't work underwater).
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I have a PW2 and a Voyage--just purchased the Voyage about a month ago. As others have said, if price isn't an object go for the Voyage. I love the size of my Voyage and do like the option of using the haptic page turn buttons. Another thing--although a small thing, is the Voyage has a flush bezel, which I find I prefer to the PW2's raised bezel.

On the other side of the coin, since you already own a PW2, the cases you have for that will fit a PW3, but probably won't work with a Voyage.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:20 PM   #13
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
They might release a new Voyage. The new PW3 screen-specs equal the Voyage, so Amazon might release an updated Voyage to differentiate the otherwise very similar devices.

If you have the PW2, it's not really "worth" upgrading at the moment. The new models are not a major improvement.
Never thought of that. I can see that happening. Also, I don't have a PW2, mine is the PW1.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #14
Gazella
Wizard

Thank you again everyone for the helpful replies. I think I'm sticking to my decision of waiting. At least till mid September.

Last edited by Gazella; 08-28-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:15 PM   #15
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
If money is not an issue you should get the voyage now and enjoy. If amazon comes out with a new voyage in November, you can sell it to, oh, me, with a generous discount
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote