Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 02:10 AM   #1
ReaderMan
ReaderMan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Can I read books from my Kobo with Koreader on PC, WITH embedded highlights?

Basically, I would like to read my sideloaded epub files from Koreader or the regular Kobo UI, in my PC, WITH the highlights I made on the ereader EMBEDDED in the book, not exported. It is a major learning tool for me, just like adding colour tabs and highlighting text in a paper book would be. I am considering the Scribe, because I have a few days left to return this Kobo, simply because it has sync, although I don't like that I have to send sideloaded books to Amazon.
Is there any way, on GOd's green earth, to actually be able to read books from my Kobo Ereader on the PC, WITH the highlights, notes, INSIDE the actual epub, or recognizable by some app? Or at least, some way to MERGE the exported highlights, bookmarks etc, INTO the same file on the PC and read it that way?
The Kobo is a better ereader vs the Scribe, in that is has tighter margins, comes unlocked so has Koreader, reads PDFs better and so on, it is a better product in every single way, except for this lack of feature, that I can't read sideloaded books with highlights on any other device, except the Kobo. I'm kind of losing hope here.
ReaderMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:57 AM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It is generally considered "wrong" to add highlights to a book, as they are not part of said book. They're commentary that you're making on the book, so they're separate. It's not even clear how you would merge the highlights with the book, as highlighting is part of the reading engine, not the book. You'd have to add a bunch of fancy CSS styles to draw shaded backgrounds around certain blocks of text to simulate highlights, I guess. Neither Kobo nor Amazon has mechanisms for doing that.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 04:37 AM   #3
ReaderMan
ReaderMan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It is generally considered "wrong" to add highlights to a book, as they are not part of said book. They're commentary that you're making on the book, so they're separate. It's not even clear how you would merge the highlights with the book, as highlighting is part of the reading engine, not the book. You'd have to add a bunch of fancy CSS styles to draw shaded backgrounds around certain blocks of text to simulate highlights, I guess. Neither Kobo nor Amazon has mechanisms for doing that.
I managed to find a way.
Koreader creates a .sdr folder wherever you read a book, where it stores highlightes, notes and such. I installed Koreader on a Linux install, and just copied the book and the sdr folder, works like a charm. It has a .lua file in it and that has all of it. Probalby just replace that .lua file every time I want to check out my newest highlights. Plus will install a Virtual Machine on my Windows, so i have it on Windows too, or maybe install Koreader with the Android subsystem in win11, if I an manage it. If I can get Dropbox to actually work on Koreader and sync the folder, It's pretty much a jankier sync type situation, and I'm ok with that, because the Elipsa is the superior device, to the Scribe, in every way.
ReaderMan is offline   Reply With Quote