Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
stasage
stasage began at the beginning.

Device: HTC One, Motorola Xoom
Auto send to device on start

Hi there!

I am using Calibre with Calibre Companion.
I don't understand why my Android wouldn't sync with PC automatically when I tap on ''Connect" --> "As Wireless Device". I want all my [recently added] books that are in my PC Calibre library be automatically uploaded to my Android. In Calibre I went to Preferences --> Sending Books to Device --> Metadata Management --> Automatic Management.

But still, I have to press "Send to Device" button every time I need to update books on my Android.

How can I make it to do Automatically on connecting between Calibre and CC?
stasage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think the best you can do is to install kiwidude's Reading List plugin and create an auto. sync. list. You add books to it and when you connect a device calibre will send all the books on that list and then remove them from that list.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
stasage

Hmm. Thank you.

I will probably just leave everything as is, since I don't really like downloading custom scripts and plugins, coz after re-installing Windows you always spend time tweaking all the software again, and this is something that is not really important. The reason I started new topic, because it looks like Calibre and CC should automatically do it. They both have those option in settings.

For Calibre it is (as I posted earlier): Preferences --> Sending Books to Device --> Metadata Management --> Automatic Management
And for Calibre Companion it is: Settings --> Scan on connect

Both my settings set up right (as I think), but wouldn't work =/
So, I am just wondering if it's just me or everyone has this problem?

Thank you, though!!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Metadata management has nothing at all to do with sending content to a device; it just ensures that data on material that has been sent stays current.

If you choose not to install calibre plugins you do loose a lot of the functionality of calibre.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Metadata management has nothing at all to do with sending content to a device; it just ensures that data on material that has been sent stays current.

If you choose not to install calibre plugins you do loose a lot of the functionality of calibre.
Nit

You don't GAIN all the added possibilities.
Calibre still functions just the way Kovid delivered it
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasage View Post
I will probably just leave everything as is, since I don't really like downloading custom scripts and plugins, coz after re-installing Windows you always spend time tweaking all the software again, and this is something that is not really important.
Certainly up to you but you are missing out on some great additions to calibre. Additionally the plugins can be installed from within calibre at Preferences - Plugins - Get new plugins.

Quote:
The reason I started new topic, because it looks like Calibre and CC should automatically do it. They both have those option in settings.
There are no options to do as you describe from calibre to any device.

Quote:
For Calibre it is (as I posted earlier): Preferences --> Sending Books to Device --> Metadata Management --> Automatic Management
This option (described well in reference to Sony devices in this section of the FAQ) allows the automatic syncing of metadata from the calibre GUI to some devices that are capable. CC is one such device.

Quote:
And for Calibre Companion it is: Settings --> Scan on connect
This setting scans folders on your device for books not in your calibre library.

Quote:
Both my settings set up right (as I think), but wouldn't work =/ So, I am just wondering if it's just me or everyone has this problem?
Since what you describe is not a feature of calibre I would have to say no one else is having this perceived problem.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

I will probably just leave everything as is, since I don't really like downloading custom scripts and plugins, coz after re-installing Windows you always spend time tweaking all the software again
Providing you backup the config folder you can just restore it after a Windows reinstall

If you do an inplace Windows reinstall you shouldn't even have to do that. I did an inplace Windows reinstall about a month ago, only a few programs needed 'fixing' (including firefox), calibre and the other 200+ programs were fine.

BR

btw : the reinstall didn't fix my problem. To fix it all I had to deselect and reselect one of the optional windows components - which took all of 2 minutes, the inplace reinstall took 1/2 day or more
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:14 AM   #8
stasage

Ah, I guess I was wrong about options then. Thank you. Installed that Reading List Plug-in. It actually works, but then, I don't see the point of it for my purpose. I was thinking how it is done with iPhones and iTunes. You plug-in device and iTunes has an option to sync right away without you clicking "Sync".
With Reading List Plug-in I still have to select [just recently added] books --> click on Reading list icon --> click Add to [Default] List. It will sync then (if you check the "Sync to this device as soon as it is connected"). So after I select all the recently added books I need to do at least 1-2 more clicks.
The same thing without the plug-in. Instead of clicking "Add to Default List" I need to click "Send to Device". So, I don't really see how plug-in helps here (except that it might be easier if I added books multiple different times, so I don't have to remember which ones new - they can be in that list, and as soon as I connect device it will sync).

So, any other thoughts on how to automate syncing of books that are not on the device without me participating?

All I want to do is
1. Add books to Calibre.
2. Connect with CC from my Android.
3. ???
4. Profit.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:22 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The problem is that most people do NOT want all books in their Calibre library synce'ed to their reading device. This can be either because they have more books than they have space for on the reader, or simply that only a small selection is needed.

One thing you could do is use the Calibre facility to auto-add a tag to new books when they are added. This helps with identifying new books that you want to sync that are not yet synced. If you combine this with the Reading list feature for removing a tag on syncing then you should get most of what you want with minimum effort.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Itimpi

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-30-2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: superfluous, redundant
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote