Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
haja0011
haja0011 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is it possible to read newspaper with Digital Reader 1000S, "wisely"

Hi,

there are now newspapers as e-paper edition, and there is also the Press Reader. For both, it give the possibility to save the newspapers as PDF.
Newspapers are very big and the display of the reader with it's much smaller 10.2 inch. Is it possible to make the read of newspapers as a experience? Is the speed adequat and makes it fun?

To make "sense" to me also means to send the data in a reasonable time to the reader, and these data should not need of half an hour manually "reformat", before I can read.
Can this be automated? And is it possible to connect the reader to a mobile phone with USB port (Windows Mobile 6.1) to transfer the data in this way to the reader?
The idea is not always have a notebook to have. The idea is: connect with mobile phone to the internet -> Newspaper Download -> possibly automated format of the data -> then transferred to Reader -> relaxed read

Has anyone experience with these things?

Greetings
Jan
haja0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:47 AM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I asked that before. Unfortunately few people seem to be interested in this subject. Though the demonstration on the Irex/Press Reader websites looks good enough. However, I am still waiting for a WiFi enabled large screen reader. I want to download the paper directly.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
bazmi
Enthusiast
bazmi began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr 1000s, sony prs 700, 505, iliad BE. N800, SL6000, SL3200...
hi,

i use pressreader on the dr1000 and it is one of the main apps for me to get my daily dose of the indian newspapers. overall, i would rate the experience as very satisfactory and would recommend it. looking at the whole page, the size of the screen is big enough to read the headlines and to read the article i just zoom in. page turning a bit slow but acceptable. once in a while the reader app hangs up but not very often.

what i do is set up my download on the PC before going to bed and first thing in the morning just copy the downloaded newspapers on to the device. yes, it is a slow process to transfer - i transfer 4 newspaper on a normal daily basis but as i am not watching it, it is ok.

bottom line : great app and great use of the device. go get it.

hope this helps.

best regards,

/bazmi.
bazmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
Even if you could tether to a mobile phone and is something I also wondered, the pressreader app has to reside on the device. For this reason I think you are stuck. They do have a mobile site for downloading onto a mobile phone but I do not believe it has the iRex option on it. I really have no idea. Something to investigate. I have my desktop and a work laptop. I was thinking about eventually getting a netbook to use as the device to load pressreader to the digital reader. I have been hesitating until either the New York Times or Wall Street Journal become available. My fall back is the Washington Post but I plan to wait until I get a netbook and then I'll cancel my paper WSJ.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:57 AM   #5
haja0011
haja0011 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for any help. After I looked some video on youtube about the reader I decided to give it a try. Firstly I will use my normally PC to get the data on my reader. Later I will use a netbook. Netbook is better because I'm mobile and it is smaller and has not so much weight than a Notebook.

My preferred method to use my mobile phone won't work because the usb on my mobile phone doesn't have the usb-host functionality. It is a bit ciruitous when I'm on holiday to take a netbook with me uhhhh. But for normal routine it will work.
haja0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert