Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2024, 04:53 AM   #1
bluepeter
Connoisseur
bluepeter began at the beginning.

Device: Clara 2E, Clara BW, Mini, Libra H2O, Paperwhite (10G), Boox Poke 5
Kobo Mini - possibly a silly question

The cover in which I keep my Mini is getting a bit old and tatty, so I thought I'd look for a new one. Whilst looking, I found this one.

The heading, description and images clearly say that the cover offers auto wake and sleep functionality. However, I didn't think that the Mini had that capability. Am I mistaken?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	208609  
bluepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 07:08 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepeter View Post
Am I mistaken?
Yes.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2024, 07:54 AM   #3
bluepeter
Connoisseur

Fair enough. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2024, 02:00 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
It surprised me also when I discovered the Minis had auto sleep and wake functions. I finally found a nice, new (in package) OEM Mini cover from someone in Canada who lived almost at the Arctic Circle. He a had a few Mini covers he sold on eBay. Odd how things end up where they end up sometimes.

EDIT: Those are some pretty nice looking covers, BTW.

Last edited by rcentros; 05-31-2024 at 02:02 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 02:12 PM   #5
bluepeter
Connoisseur

I've ordered one like that (but not from that particular seller), so it'll be interesting to see how I get on with it. I've not used the automatic sleep/wake function on any e-reader before, and am not sure whether I'll like it. I only picked the one I did because (a) there wasn't a huge choice and (b) like you, I thought it looked nice. It's coming from China, so it'll be a couple of weeks before I find out.

I've just noticed a little oddity. If I go to Settings/Energy saving and privacy on my Clara 2E, there's an option to turn auto wake/sleep on or off. Although the Mini is now running the same firmware (4.38.21908), that option isn't available on it. So I guess that it won't be possible to disable it if I find that I don't like it.
Advert
Old 05-31-2024, 02:20 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I've ordered one like that (but not from that particular seller), so it'll be interesting to see how I get on with it. I've not used the automatic sleep/wake function on any e-reader before, and am not sure whether I'll like it. I only picked the one I did because (a) there wasn't a huge choice and (b) like you, I thought it looked nice. It's coming from China, so it'll be a couple of weeks before I find out.

I've just noticed a little oddity. If I go to Settings/Energy saving and privacy on my Clara 2E, there's an option to turn auto wake/sleep on or off. Although the Mini is now running the same firmware (4.38.21908), that option isn't available on it. So I guess that it won't be possible to disable it if I find that I don't like it.
There's nothing to dislike. You close the cover and the Kobo goes to sleep. You open the cover and it wakes. No need to press the power button.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 02:27 PM   #7
bluepeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There's nothing to dislike. You close the cover and the Kobo goes to sleep. You open the cover and it wakes. No need to press the power button.
You're probably right. I'm just a bit iffy about it because it's not the way that I've been doing things. I usually buy sleeves (preferably neoprene) rather than covers like this new one.
Old 05-31-2024, 02:38 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You're probably right. I'm just a bit iffy about it because it's not the way that I've been doing things. I usually buy sleeves (preferably neoprene) rather than covers like this new one.
Sleeves (IMHO) are a PIA. They are like putting on/taking off gloves when you want to read and your done reading. To me a sleeve is just annoying. A cover is easier to use and makes your Reader easier to hold. Plus, you get the sleep function (on Readers that have such a feature) and you won't wear out your power button.
Old 05-31-2024, 02:45 PM   #9
bluepeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sleeves (IMHO) are a PIA. They are like putting on/taking off gloves when you want to read and your done reading. To me a sleeve is just annoying. A cover is easier to use and makes your Reader easier to hold. Plus, you get the sleep function (on Readers that have such a feature) and you won't wear out your power button.
I see your point, but IMO it's covers that can be a PITA. They either flap around (if held open) or add bulk and can make it awkward to keep the device steady (if folded back). I'd have bought a sleeve, if I could find a nice one, in preference to the cover that I have ordered.

It's just a matter of personal preference. Yours and mine differ.
Old 05-31-2024, 02:47 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I see your point, but IMO it's covers that can be a PITA. They either flap around (if held open) or add bulk and can make it awkward to keep the device steady (if folded back). I'd have bought a sleeve, if I could find a nice one, in preference to the cover that I have ordered.

It's just a matter of personal preference. Yours and mine differ.
Yes we do differ. I do fold back my cover and it does not flop around.
Old 06-04-2024, 03:24 AM   #11
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
I've been looking for neoprene sleeves for my Mini, but I can't find any that are small enough. Which ones do you like to use?
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 03:29 AM   #12
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
The cover in which I keep my Mini is getting a bit old and tatty, so I thought I'd look for a new one. Whilst looking, I found this one.

The heading, description and images clearly say that the cover offers auto wake and sleep functionality. However, I didn't think that the Mini had that capability. Am I mistaken?
I believe I found the same covers for sale in the US eBay store. https://www.ebay.com/itm/35575075475...Bk9SR57ZpqL8Yw
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 03:34 AM   #13
bluepeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I've been looking for neoprene sleeves for my Mini, but I can't find any that are small enough. Which ones do you like to use?
I've never found a neoprene sleeve the right size for a Mini. I'm currently using a flappy cover, made by Tuff-Luv. They no longer make them.

My usual readers are Clara-sized, and I have neoprene sleeves by Belkin and Gadgetshop for them. I don't think that they make those any more, but I could be wrong. I had a Kobo OEM neoprene sleeve for my Glo, but the zip on that wore out several years ago.

You might find something you like on Etsy, though probably not neoprene. My experience there is that the handmade stuff offered can be a bit idiosyncratic, but is generally of good quality.
Old 06-04-2024, 03:36 AM   #14
bluepeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I believe I found the same covers for sale in the US eBay store. https://www.ebay.com/itm/35575075475...Bk9SR57ZpqL8Yw
Yup, it does look like it.
Old 06-04-2024, 05:38 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

A guess...

If you want to disable the auto wake/sleep of on the mini (if it actually has a auto wake/sleep), you may be able to disable it by editing the config file.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote