Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-26-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
Inconsistencies in Remove unused CSS rules!?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Left: 1 500 000 Schriftzeichen.png
Views:	302
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	148245
Left: 1 500 000 Schriftzeichen (characters)
I have only changed the view size. Maximize below. However, there is a significant difference, the number of character regarding.

Name:	Right: 1 500 000 Schriftzeichen.png
Views:	311
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	148246
Right: 1 500 000 Schriftzeichen (characters)
[/B]

Name:	Remove unused CSS.png
Views:	257
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	148248
That is the initial order. It shouldn't mix up the text.

And has the following to do with CSS? I think no!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" becomes <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'.
standalone="no" has been deleted completly. Why is that been done here?

Interna: Yiwu (FeLuhL)

Last edited by chaot; 06-02-2016 at 10:49 AM. Reason: clarifies: Schriftzeichen (characters), add interna
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:50 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That has nothing to do with remove unused css rules and is simply a long standing bug in Qt Text Edit rendering https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-47244

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-26-2016 at 11:07 PM. Reason: remove filter from url (requred a login)
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2016, 07:06 AM   #3
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Thanks for the reply, Kovid.

My understanding of information technology is more limited, which is why a more thorough discussion between the two of us can not take place.

But I'm not sure that you have understood my concerns in full.

The addressed simply longstanding bug in Qt Text Edit rendering is almost certainly at Calibre users or at MobileRead only the least known, quite apart from the impacts.

My since yesterday lost confidence in that tool Remove unused CSS must result in an extremely cautious use. In future I'll study that report about Differences between books very closely to prevent elementary components of a book totally unnoticed simply disappear or get altered.

In the present case there are a lot of changes and the tool does not allow to manually exclude certain undesirable changes such this 1 500 000 matter.

Name:	Action report.png
Views:	262
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	148270
associated Action report

Strange events caused only by changing the screen size.

Name:	initially, reduced screen, left & right 1 500 000 Schriftzeichen .png
Views:	247
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	148268
initially, reduced screen, left & right 1 500 000 Schriftzeichen

Name:	maximized screen, left 00 000, right 1 500 000.png
Views:	253
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	148269
maximized screen, left 00 000, right 1 500 000

Please, considering the caprioles I propose to tell us how to use this tool meaningful at all.

Last edited by chaot; 04-27-2016 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Remove unused CSS rules→Remove unused CSS
Old 04-27-2016, 07:39 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
chaot: If you read the Qt bug that Kovid pointed to, it describes what you are seeing. When that number is at the left edge, the first character of the number disappears. If you resize the window, so that the number isn't at the edge, it will all be displayed. Or drag the centre bar to resize the left and right panes.

The thing here is to look at the highlighted differences. The compare tool is intended to show the differences between the two versions. It includes enough surrounding text to give context to the changes. In this case, if you press close button and examine the file, the number will be there in full and only the style changes will have been made.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #5
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

Bug description - technical language in English! I didn't understand in its entirety. You know, people like us need communicators/mentors, therefore we are here in MobileRead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The thing here is to look at the highlighted differences. The compare tool is intended to show the differences between the two versions. It includes enough surrounding text to give context to the changes. In this case, if you press close button and examine the file, the number will be there in full and only the style changes will have been made.
In God we trust! But a German proverb says: Who relies too much at something/someone, can finally be abandoned.

Test: I convert the book before Remove unused CSS (crossed Remove unused class attributes) and after in TXT-format, and compared - result positive, no changes.

Anyway, I will use this Remove unused CSS furthermore - but with a little bit of caution.

Were/how is to run that demo program test.cpp (test.zip)?

Last edited by chaot; 04-27-2016 at 02:57 PM. Reason: marginally
Advert
Old 04-27-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Remove unused has 2 sections
1) Clean a (house kitchen sink) stylesheet (CSS)
2) Try and clean out UNDEFINED (in a stylesheet or Styles section) classes (the tick box)

IMHO #2 is dangerous and hard to recover from, since it makes many changes. OTOH a missing stylesheet entry can be faked (make it pleasing again, at least )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:36 PM   #7
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

@theducks, thank you! We're getting closer.

It is not meant evil or even pedantic when I transform your post for any other less experienced MR-user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Remove unused Css has 2 sections

Name:	Remove unused CSS.png
Views:	249
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	148275

1) Clean a (house kitchen sink) stylesheet (CSS) or This will remove all CSS rules that do not match any actual content.
2) Try and clean out UNDEFINED (in a stylesheet or Styles section) classes (the tick box) or Remove unused class attributes.

IMHO 2) is dangerous and hard to recover from, since it makes many changes. OTOH a missing stylesheet entry can be faked (make it pleasing again, at least )
Quote:
IMHO 2) is dangerous and hard to recover from, since it makes many changes.
Right, I noticed that already this afternoon during my experiments, here exactly 1296 changes of unused classes from the HTML (Official parlance).
Should your objection to be understood generally as to the tick box to let uncrossed?

Quote:
OTOH a missing stylesheet entry can be faked (make it pleasing again, at least )
I understand the words, but not the meaning. As elsewhere already made known: I need examples, examples and examples again.

May I call a previously asked question in memory?

Last edited by chaot; 04-28-2016 at 03:56 AM. Reason: marginally, mb→MR, add meant, translate→transform
Old 04-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaot View Post
@theducks, thank you! We're getting closer.

It is not evil or even pedantic when I translate your post for any other less experienced mb-user.

Right, I noticed that already this afternoon during my experiments, here exactly 1296 changes of unused classes from the HTML (Official parlance).
Should your objection to be understood generally as to the tick box to let uncrossed?

I understand the words, but not the meaning. As elsewhere already made known: I need examples, examples and examples again.

May I call a previously asked question in memory?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, remove the tick. Missing styles only leave bulky HTML (they will be ignored)

Fake = Guess what it should have been

Forget about doing anything about QT bugs. That is for developers who KNOW.

All we need to know is: There is one that can bite
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #9
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
All we need to know is: There is one that can bite
I try my best, but Denglish never will be Queens English.

Although you are not always fully understandable to me, here can be no question about it. A very clear hiss is perceptible. If that would be always the case, it would be so nice, ... oh no, good mutual intelligibility is meant.

Of course, I attach great importance to your advices and suggestions - and accept idiosyncrasy. Each of us just has his way, an individual temperament - given by nature and not malleable, especially at my tender age.

Nevertheless, I can do without descriptions of foreign posts in the future.

Last edited by chaot; 05-06-2016 at 12:01 PM. Reason: growl→hiss