Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-29-2020, 04:06 PM   #1
timetochange
timetochange began at the beginning.

Device: Looking at Oasis, Libra, Forma
Oasis 3, Forma, or Libra?

Hi, folks. I've read a couple of hundred of your posts on these, but still torn. I have some ideas and questions.

1. Me: My vision isn't very good. Large text will be nice. I'll probably read in a variety of lighting situations. I'm in the USA.

2. Cost: These are close enough in price that I'm basically setting it aside. Especially because Oasis is on sale right now.

3. Content & sources: Mostly novels, history, and philosophy. Some essays and articles. Court decisions would be nice. Those would mostly be PDFs. I realize that won't be great on any e-reader.
- I think a good bit will be from the library.
- It sounds like getting a book from a library isn't that much harder for a Kindle: Just go to the library site from another computer, check it out, and send it?
- Is there a difference in returning library books?
- I haven't bothered with Pocket before, but I can see use it with the e-reader. Usually, I just bookmark stuff, send myself links, leave tabs open, and never get around to 75% of that stuff.

5. Format: I probably won't understand these disagreements until I start using the device. If you buy from Amazon, you aren't really locked in - correct?

6. Quick display adjustments: Is the following correct?
- These Kobos let you to change brightness and color balance by swiping at either side of the screen; you have to go into the menu to change font size.
- Oasis lets you change font size by pinching, but you have to use the menu to adjust the lighting.

7. Readability & lighting:
- This seems important.
- In the comparisons on Youtube, it looks like the Forma edges out the other two in clarity. But that might just be due to size. Please weigh in if you can.
- I see more complaints about lighting imperfections on the Kobos, but most users seem to like/love their devices just fine.
- Avoiding PWM doesn't sound completely crazy, but I'm not too worried about it.

8. Comfort & controls:
- I'll use a case, so not worried about texture or weight.
- It sounds like the power button on the Forma might make me want to murder someone at first. Do you get used to it?

9. Customization, tweaks, and hacks:
- I like the idea because I'm picky.
- But I wonder if I'll end up working for the device, instead of the device working for me.

10. Extra features:
- Wikipedia will be more important than the dictionary.
- I imagine that being able to search lots of books for a word would be nice.
- It sounds like Kobo and Amazon each have advantages about being able to import/export/sync highlights and notes. Or is that really more Amazon's bag?

11. Fixing problems:
- It sounds like Amazon will deal with hardware issues better than Kobo.
- Asking consumers is clearly a better troubleshooting method than contacting either company.
- I don't want to have to fix problems.
- I don't see much related to durability or devices failing in the long run; it sounds like issues either show up early or don't show up at all. Is that right?

Thanks.

Last edited by timetochange; 11-29-2020 at 04:08 PM. Reason: clarity
timetochange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:13 PM   #2
timetochange

Yes, 4 is missing. I can't edit anymore. It's breaking my heart.
Advert
Old 11-29-2020, 04:50 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetochange View Post
Yes, 4 is missing. I can't edit anymore. It's breaking my heart.

For a complex post it's often best to compose it in a separate word processor or text editor, and then copy & paste into a MobileRead post.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:01 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Because you want larger text, I suggest the Kobo Forma because it has an 8" screen. Kobo has many more fiot sizes to choose from and with an 8" screen, you can have larger text before you get too many gaps.

There have been some recent threads about poor battery life of the Kindle Oasis.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:28 PM   #5
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Hi, folks. I've read a couple of hundred of your posts on these, but still torn. I have some ideas and questions.

1. Me: My vision isn't very good. Large text will be nice. I'll probably read in a variety of lighting situations. I'm in the USA.

2. Cost: These are close enough in price that I'm basically setting it aside. Especially because Oasis is on sale right now.

3. Content & sources: Mostly novels, history, and philosophy. Some essays and articles. Court decisions would be nice. Those would mostly be PDFs. I realize that won't be great on any e-reader.
- I think a good bit will be from the library.
- It sounds like getting a book from a library isn't that much harder for a Kindle: Just go to the library site from another computer, check it out, and send it?
- Is there a difference in returning library books?
- I haven't bothered with Pocket before, but I can see use it with the e-reader. Usually, I just bookmark stuff, send myself links, leave tabs open, and never get around to 75% of that stuff.

5. Format: I probably won't understand these disagreements until I start using the device. If you buy from Amazon, you aren't really locked in - correct?

6. Quick display adjustments: Is the following correct?
- These Kobos let you to change brightness and color balance by swiping at either side of the screen; you have to go into the menu to change font size.
- Oasis lets you change font size by pinching, but you have to use the menu to adjust the lighting.

7. Readability & lighting:
- This seems important.
- In the comparisons on Youtube, it looks like the Forma edges out the other two in clarity. But that might just be due to size. Please weigh in if you can.
- I see more complaints about lighting imperfections on the Kobos, but most users seem to like/love their devices just fine.
- Avoiding PWM doesn't sound completely crazy, but I'm not too worried about it.

8. Comfort & controls:
- I'll use a case, so not worried about texture or weight.
- It sounds like the power button on the Forma might make me want to murder someone at first. Do you get used to it?

9. Customization, tweaks, and hacks:
- I like the idea because I'm picky.
- But I wonder if I'll end up working for the device, instead of the device working for me.

10. Extra features:
- Wikipedia will be more important than the dictionary.
- I imagine that being able to search lots of books for a word would be nice.
- It sounds like Kobo and Amazon each have advantages about being able to import/export/sync highlights and notes. Or is that really more Amazon's bag?

11. Fixing problems:
- It sounds like Amazon will deal with hardware issues better than Kobo.
- Asking consumers is clearly a better troubleshooting method than contacting either company.
- I don't want to have to fix problems.
- I don't see much related to durability or devices failing in the long run; it sounds like issues either show up early or don't show up at all. Is that right?

Thanks.
Kobo is waaaaaaaaaay better at handling PDF because you can install Koreader. It is even possible you will be able to install more PDF readers in the future, because Kobo is an open system. It allows you to add and customize the system. In contrast, the Oasis is extremely closed, you are very limited in terms of customizing, you most certainly cannot add a PDF reading app, and the native software is very poor at reading PDF. If you will be reading lots of PDF, get a Kobo, install Koreader, and read PDF in landscape. The 8" will be a little better than a 7.8" because it's bigger, but not much. But the bigger the better. An Onyx Nova is even better for PDF, but Amzon and Kobo have better screen contrast.

Re: the light, the night comfort light is better on the Kobo than the Amazon because it is more orange.

I terms of format, the Kobo reads epubs. The Amazon won't. Kobo is therefore better. It is more open. The Oasis is horribly shut down. If all you're going to do is buy novels etc from Amazon, then the Oasis is great. That's what it's designed for, and nothing else, and it's good at it. If you want to use PDF and customize, get a Kobo.

I don't love Kobo stuff; I think Amazon hardware is better in general, but I would get a Kobo. The Amazon is too restricted for my needs (PDF and customization).
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
timetochange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Kobo is waaaaaaaaaay better at handling PDF because you can install Koreader. It is even possible you will be able to install more PDF readers in the future[ ...]. It allows you to add and customize the system. In contrast, the Oasis is extremely closed, you are very limited in terms of customizing, you most certainly cannot add a PDF reading app, and the native software is very poor at reading PDF.
Super-helpful to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
But the bigger the better. An Onyx Nova is even better for PDF, but Amzon and Kobo have better screen contrast.

Re: the light, the night comfort light is better on the Kobo than the Amazon because it is more orange.
Hadn't look at the Nova. It seems lovely, but pricey. Any other thoughts on readability?
Old 11-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #7
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
I've just gone through a similar analysis and can offer a few comments. All of your options are top choices so the final pick may involve some hair splitting unless one particular feature really seals it for you.

On YouTube videos comparing the Libra and Oasis side by side, the Libras that I saw had kind of a blue/green hue to the screen compared to the Oasis. I also came across some comments of Libra screen lighting being non-uniform, and I never saw that complaint about the Oasis. So I decided that I preferred the Oasis screen.

I've put library books on my old Kindle for years, both via email and side loading, with no problem and from what I can tell Kobo is equally easy.

I came across a complaint or two about Kobo service/support. Amazon customer service in my experience has been top notch and I never read a complaint about it re the Oasis.

For years Amazon has offered a trade-in policy that allows easy and relatively economical upgrade path. I don't know if Kobo does but it could be something to check. Amazon also regularly puts their e-readers on sale at least twice a year.

The biggest gripe I saw about the Oasis was regarding battery life. The curious thing was the inconsistency. Some people claim very short battery life while others claim weeks or months of battery life. Hard to tell for sure, but I decided that this might be due to some people leaving backlight turned all the way up all the time, WiFi on all the time, etc. while others did not. Apparently the Oasis also tries to perform an auto-indexing function in the background which burns battery if you do not stop the indexing.

Anyway, I decided to try the Oasis and with Black Friday pricing and trade in I got it for $115 which for me clearly gave it the advantage over the Libra.

Good luck with your decision!
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Super-helpful to know.

Hadn't look at the Nova. It seems lovely, but pricey. Any other thoughts on readability?
See PMs. Readability is fine.

Kobo and Neoreader is fine for PDF, but the Onyx app is better. The thing is, even 7.8 in landscape is teeny bit too small for PDF. But the software on Onyx makes is a lot easier because you can split the page into sections. Koreader can't do that AFAIK.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 11-30-2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:48 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
Apparently the Oasis also tries to perform an auto-indexing function in the background which burns battery if you do not stop the indexing.
You don't have to stop the indexing, as that will also disable the search function. You just have to connect the Oasis to a wall charger while it's indexing. It indexes pretty fast that way and once it's finished (that's easily checked), there's no unusual battery drain.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:02 PM   #10
Pajamaman
Wizard

Re: the onyx, it has lower battery life because its android.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:02 PM   #11
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I have the oasis and libra and like them both. Libra has a better battery life and customization. I like oasis for I have 150 audible companions to my ebooks
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:19 PM   #12
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You don't have to stop the indexing, as that will also disable the search function. You just have to connect the Oasis to a wall charger while it's indexing. It indexes pretty fast that way and once it's finished (that's easily checked), there's no unusual battery drain.
Thanks for clarifying that! I'm puzzled as to why there is such a disparity of battery life reports amongst owners of the Oasis then, unless it is due to the Wifi and/or the backlight.

To the OP, another consideration is the ads on the Amazon products that you either live with or pay $20 to get rid of. Some are bothered by it, some are not.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #13
tm3
Groupie

Also the Oasis does not come with a charger.

Hopefully I have now voiced all my points of comparison!
Old 11-30-2020, 09:11 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
Also the Oasis does not come with a charger.
Neither do any of the others. You can buy a wall charger separately. I have one from way back, bought 2011 I think, and I use it to charge all my readers.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:26 PM   #15
timetochange

I can use a wall adapter from a cell phone, right?

And is it correct that Oasis does let you change font size by pinching, but does not have a quick adjustment for brightness or color balance?