Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #1
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Forma or Libra

So, my Kobo Aura One's screen just went bad yesterday. I've had it for 4 years and have loved it. I love the large screen size, especially. I am looking for a replacement and trying to decide on the Forma or the Libra.

I see the Libra is newer and from what I can tell in the forum, perhaps slightly better quality. But, it would mean downgrading my screen size.

I like the larger screen, because it gives more real estate for bumping up my font size so that I can read at night without my glasses.

I'd love to hear some opinions on the pros and cons of the two devices or anyone who has seen or used both.

Price-wise I'd prefer the Libra, but since I am currently using the my old original Kobo Aura, which has a 1" smaller screen that the Aura ONE, I know that the smaller screen is really noticeable.

Thanks for your opinions!
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:41 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firstly the Kobo Aura has a 6" screen, it is 1.8" smaller than the Aura ONE. That difference is very noticeable.

The Libra H2O is 7", which is less than an inch smaller than the Aura ONE. But, it is still noticeable.

The choice between the Libra H2O and Forma does come down to size. And cost. The physical layout is basically the same when reading. The firmware is the same. The difference is the 7" vs 8" screen. If weight might be an issues, the Forma is only slightly heavier than the Libra H20. That is 197g vs 192g. For comparison, the Aura ONE is 230g and the Aura 174g.

The reasons for the low weight of the Forma is the screen. It is a Mobius screen. This uses plastic backplane which is lighter and less likely to be broken.

The difference in cost is significant. Whether the above justifies the extra money, only you can tell. If you can get your hands on either for some testing, it should help you decide.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2020, 10:23 PM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

The difference in cost is significant. Whether the above justifies the extra money, only you can tell.
Where I live, the Forma is 160% the cost of the Libra. If it is similar where you are, that's makes the formula simple, as davidfor has said - is the "extra inch" worth that much to you? It wasn't for me, but it has been for many.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:31 PM   #4
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Firstly the Kobo Aura has a 6" screen, it is 1.8" smaller than the Aura ONE. That difference is very noticeable.

The Libra H2O is 7", which is less than an inch smaller than the Aura ONE. But, it is still noticeable.

The choice between the Libra H2O and Forma does come down to size. And cost. The physical layout is basically the same when reading. The firmware is the same. The difference is the 7" vs 8" screen. If weight might be an issues, the Forma is only slightly heavier than the Libra H20. That is 197g vs 192g. For comparison, the Aura ONE is 230g and the Aura 174g.

The reasons for the low weight of the Forma is the screen. It is a Mobius screen. This uses plastic backplane which is lighter and less likely to be broken.

The difference in cost is significant. Whether the above justifies the extra money, only you can tell. If you can get your hands on either for some testing, it should help you decide.

I guess my older Aura is actually the Aura HD, it is the larger 6.8 in. Screen. But I’m glad to know it really just comes down to size. Makes deciding easier. I’m thinking it does seem worth it to me.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:08 PM   #5
Nightflyer
Connoisseur
Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M6, Kobo Clara HD
Comment deleted.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 09-16-2020 at 11:11 PM.
Nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2020, 03:15 AM   #6
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
There is another difference, you get Dropbox support from stock firmware with the Forma.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Forma more than 1.3 x price Libra here in Ireland. A decent 10" tablet is less than the difference. So I upgraded from H2O original to Libra. Worth it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:17 AM   #8
bookwurm70
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
There is another difference, you get Dropbox support from stock firmware with the Forma.
This is a selling point
Old 09-18-2020, 02:41 AM   #9
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
The plastic screen on my forma means I worry less. Especially when I read in bed and the husband starts snoring and it gets wielded as a weapon to deliver a dig in his ribs to shut him up.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:25 AM   #10
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Question

I bought the Libra (white) because I wanted a smaller size to fit into my handbag on the go, but it soon became my main reader because it was very comfortable on my hands, and the on/off button on the Forma is difficult with my severe arthritis. I used the Forma mainly for PDFs.

But recently, I've felt annoyed at the very yellow light on the Libra, even with comfort light at zero. I think it wasn't so intruding at the beginning, but I do remember the Forma was still slightly cooler at the minimum then.

I've grown annoyed enough at it that I recently returned to the Forma as my main reader.

I recently saw a Libra in a shop (Darty, which is associated with Fnac), and the color was MUCH better than mine. I bought mine a year ago, and the guarantee is two years, but I don't know whether I can exchange it, and whether the new one would be better.

Anybody else have a Libra whose color changed over time?
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:03 AM   #11
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Forma more than 1.3 x price Libra here in Ireland. A decent 10" tablet is less than the difference. So I upgraded from H2O original to Libra. Worth it.
As mentioned, an even larger price difference here, so in the case of my migration from H2O2 to Libra, my verdict is the same as yours - worth it, Ours is the minority view here it seems, money being no object to most, apparently. 😊
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:25 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that you really liked the screen of the KA1, I suggest the Forma as it's almost the same size. I's .2" larger. The Libra is .8"" smaller and you will notice that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote