Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-25-2024, 02:23 PM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Firmwares 4.39.23027 and 4.38.23038

Firmwares 4.39.23027 and 4.38.23038 have been released.

Automatically posted by kfwproxy.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-25-2024 at 09:45 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 02:27 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
This is meant to include a fix for the database corruption issue.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2024, 02:32 PM   #3
ghira
Zealot
ghira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura One, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Glowlight,
And maybe the Sage never syncing? That would be nice.
ghira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 02:52 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
From my notes these are the changes in the 4.39.23027 and 4.38.23038 firmware releases. The 4.39 release is for the Libra Colour, Clara Colour and Clara BW models. The 4.38 release is for the rest of Kobo's touch ereaders.

Changes:
Updated certs
Updated Analytics
Disable telnet access (still works using NickelMenu to enable)

Fixes:
Store crashes
Database not closing properly
Kobo Plus content consumption readings
Adjust Kobo Plus audiobook sessions along with idle time
Missing translations

I tested about 100 disconnect, read & connect cycles on my Sage and no database corruption was seen.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-25-2024 at 02:55 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 03:07 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I tested about 100 disconnect, read & connect cycles on my Sage and no database corruption was seen.
Nice. Finally I can update my Kobos from 4.34. I'm going to wait until patches are out, though.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2024, 03:08 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghira View Post
And maybe the Sage never syncing? That would be nice.
Eh? You can disable automatic syncing.
Old 06-25-2024, 03:10 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Nice. Finally I can update my Kobos from 4.34. I'm going to wait until patches are out, though.
Please note that for earlier Kobos, the firmware version is 4.38.23038. The 4.39.23027 is only for the Libra Colour, Clara Colour and Clara BW. The firmware download page shows this correctly but if you accidentally install the wrong firmware, it can force you to do a manual factory reset.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 03:15 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Please note that for earlier Kobos, the firmware version is 4.38.23038. The 4.39.23027 is only for the Libra Colour, Clara Colour and Clara BW. The firmware download page shows this correctly but if you accidentally install the wrong firmware, it can force you to do a manual factory reset.
Yes, I did read your previous post.
Old 06-25-2024, 03:56 PM   #9
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Finally I can update my Kobos from 4.34.
Why bother?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 04:03 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Why bother?
No reason, just because. Unless some other bug is introduced in the latest version...

Usually I do update my ereaders from time to time, unless there are known serious drawbacks.
Old 06-25-2024, 04:05 PM   #11
Daniel Jackson
SG-1
Daniel Jackson began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2
My Libra 2 is still running 4.34.20097
I never got the previous FW 4.38.21908 to work properly. After every new power-on, it would go through several reboots before the home menu finally showed up. I'll give this new 4.38.23038 try later.
Daniel Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 04:55 PM   #12
ghira
Zealot
ghira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura One, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Glowlight,
Quote:
Eh? You can disable automatic syncing.
I know. I have. Manual syncing never ever works though. I even left it running for 48 hours once to see if it would eventually finish. No.

It worked the first time, just after I bought it. I don't a sync has ever completed since then. I give it a go every time a new firmware comes out just in case.
ghira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 05:41 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghira View Post
I know. I have. Manual syncing never ever works though. I even left it running for 48 hours once to see if it would eventually finish. No.

It worked the first time, just after I bought it. I don't a sync has ever completed since then. I give it a go every time a new firmware comes out just in case.
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.

I never sync my Kobos, so don't have any ideas to offer.
Old 06-25-2024, 08:00 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I'm going to wait until patches are out, though.
My Clara BW is currently running 4.39.22861, for which patches were never released. I'm finding I can live without patches* I may forget them, though the cleaner home screen with larger covers is tempting.

*I do use the better hyphenation dictionary and geometric precision, so it's not like it's untouched.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 08:29 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
My Clara BW is currently running 4.39.22861, for which patches were never released. I'm finding I can live without patches* I may forget them, though the cleaner home screen with larger covers is tempting.

*I do use the better hyphenation dictionary and geometric precision, so it's not like it's untouched.
Unfortunately I can't live without patches. I patched my first Kobo (Libra H2O) immediately after trying it out for the first time.

I use a lot of them, too. While I could live without the home screen patches, some of the reading patches (line height, font size, top and bottom spacing, word spacing etc.) are essential to me.

I'm aware that many patches for the previous firmware might work anyway, but I'm in no particular hurry to update. I can wait.

Tags
firmware, firmware release