Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Missing Feature On All Kindles

IMO a feature missing on all Kindle ebook readers, other than hacked ones, is the ability to choose your own photo(s) to be displayed when the reader is in sleep mode. If you have the "special features" you get an advertisement and if you have one without that you get a dozen or so Amazon chosen photos. Sony had the ability to choose your own sleep mode photo since the PRS-X50 models from 2010 until their consumer ebook readers were discontinued. In fact you could choose a number of photos and each time the reader entered sleep mode it would show one of the selected group of photos. A very nice feature.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
IMO a feature missing on all Kindle ebook readers, other than hacked ones, is the ability to choose your own photo(s) to be displayed when the reader is in sleep mode. If you have the "special features" you get an advertisement and if you have one without that you get a dozen or so Amazon chosen photos. Sony had the ability to choose your own sleep mode photo since the PRS-X50 models from 2010 until their consumer ebook readers were discontinued. In fact you could choose a number of photos and each time the reader entered sleep mode it would show one of the selected group of photos. A very nice feature.
I don't quite understand this either. I understand subsidizing their eReaders with ads (and not having the a Sleep Screen choice in that case) but if you have paid the ransom and freed your screen, it seems like you should be able to load your own Sleep Screen images. On my main Kindle Keyboard I've chosen the ads over the Kindle images because the portraits of authors Amazon chose are so danged ugly.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not a feature I have the slightest interest in, personally. I keep my Kindle in a case. When I open the case, it wakes up; when I close the case, it goes to sleep. Hence I rarely see the screensaver image.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:45 PM   #4
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't quite understand this either. I understand subsidizing their eReaders with ads (and not having the a Sleep Screen choice in that case) but if you have paid the ransom and freed your screen, it seems like you should be able to load your own Sleep Screen images. On my main Kindle Keyboard I've chosen the ads over the Kindle images because the portraits of authors Amazon chose are so danged ugly.

And the current pictures of pens and typefaces etc are not any better. Sony readers came with photos of a palm tree, the Eiffel tower from the Seine, a cup of coffee drawing and a snowy road through a forest plus you could add any photos you wanted.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
And the current pictures of pens and typefaces etc are not any better. Sony readers came with photos of a palm tree, the Eiffel tower from the Seine, a cup of coffee drawing and a snowy road through a forest plus you could add any photos you wanted.
Yeah, I noticed some of the pictures for the 950 that I liked. Now those I would have liked a whole series of them.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2018, 05:44 PM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
This is something I really do not care about. Seeing I have it in a cover that wakes my kindle to I can read my books, then I close the cover to put it back to sleep.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
My Kobo shows the cover of my current book. My Kindle and Nook don't. It's a nice feature and I like it but I still prefer the Kindle and the Nook.

What's the old saying about not judging an ereader by it's cover!

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:06 PM   #8
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
The one thing I miss about paper books is that sometimes a conversation would start based on the book I had with me. Having the screen saver be the last cover could spark some conversations. But, as Harry said, I keep my Kindle in a case so I don’t see it enough for it to be even a little deal to me.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:25 PM   #9
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not a feature I have the slightest interest in, personally. I keep my Kindle in a case. When I open the case, it wakes up; when I close the case, it goes to sleep. Hence I rarely see the screensaver image.
I'm with Harry. When I open my cover I see the page in the book I'm reading. That's what I see as I close the cover, too. If I get busy and the Kindle goes to sleep I don't sit there stunned staring at the screen. I either hit the power button or close and open the cover.

I wouldn't notice if every sleep screen was a photo of Jeff Bezos in various historic costumes.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #10
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Although I am with Harry now, I don't ever see my screensavers anymore, I do miss the dead authors on the older kindles. I know, I am probably the only one.
But that was before we had the auto covers so I did look at them as they took a tad longer to wake up. But now, since I have had the lighted line of kindles, I don't notice them anymore.

But that doesn't mean they couldn't give the option for those that would like to put their own on. Wouldn't take away from my reading business. Maybe they don't want to deal with tech support when folks load bad files on the device? Wasn't it possible on the K1 to put your own screensaver files onto it? I think I remember something. I didn't care as I liked the authors.

Now I just open cover, take out kindle and read.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #11
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
a member mentioned that this feature was available early on. but people kept loading images that were not up to specs or something and it caused problems. so amazon decided to take it away completely. not sure if this is true or not, though.

Last edited by rem736; 01-29-2018 at 03:47 PM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:07 PM   #12
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
My kindle has a cover that sleeps on contact, then wakes up to the current page when open. So a custom screen saver is not necessary if you have this kind of cover. The only time I look at the screen, really, is when I am reading, or choosing a book.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #13
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Custom lock screen images is a pretty standard feature on modern devices that have screens. I suspect that the real reason Amazon doesn’t support this is that they do not want to encourage too many customers to remove special offers.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:15 PM   #14
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
This is a feature I don't care about. My readers are always in a closed cover unless I'm reading. Amazon forum lore has it that Amazon removed that option on the 2nd gen Kindle, and those models to follow, because of too many CS calls about how to properly format a picture to the correct size and aspect ratio. I've no idea if that is true, but it makes sense to me as a possibility.

I like the pictures on my 2nd gen Kindle, with the exception of Emily Skeletor Dickinson. When she came up, I would wake my Kindle up and put it to sleep again to skip her.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:22 PM   #15
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
There is an easy solution to all this. If you want the cover of your current book, regardless of the device you use, as long as you have a case for it, simply find it in a Google search, print it out at the right size and paste it to the front of your cover.

Unless it's a steamy romance, of course.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote