Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
gr8day2b
Lighting the Beacon!
gr8day2b began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, nook
Help! Dropped 505 Reader, Display "wrapped"?

Dropped my 505 today on a hard floor at the mall , it landed hard, but flat on it's back. I thought it would be okay, as I keep it in the original soft cover, and it didn't ding up any edges, etc. But when I turned it on, the text of the display is kind of wrapped, or rolled (as if the horizontal setting just went down from 5 to 2 inches wide. I cannot read the text, as it's overwriting itself.

I tried different text sizes; same problem. When I changed to a horizontal display the display is "rolled" vertically (see only the same 2 inches, then it's like it overwrites the rest of the text within that same screen space). I've tried several resets (even a hard reset), but no luck.

I was wondering if anyone has seen this particular malady. I've searched and heard of broken or dead displays, but never this particular problem.

Thanks!
Great Day
gr8day2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Sorry to hear this gr8day2b, seems like I read about a similar incident on a forum or posting somewhere. Sony wanted $280 to fix.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2008, 12:23 AM   #3
gr8day2b
Lighting the Beacon!

Thanks Ervserver. On the bright side (I think), I checked a sony site, and putting the model number and when bought (Dec. 22, 2007), they said it shoudl be under a replacement warrenty, and I can send it in for a refurbished unit for $29.

Much better than the $200+ I've seen out of warrenty quoted as.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:32 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If I were you, I'd be all over that like gravy on a biscuit -- they don't usually want to replace stuff that has anything to do with possible display damage.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:36 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8day2b View Post
Thanks Ervserver. On the bright side (I think), I checked a sony site, and putting the model number and when bought (Dec. 22, 2007), they said it shoudl be under a replacement warrenty, and I can send it in for a refurbished unit for $29.

Much better than the $200+ I've seen out of warrenty quoted as.
A warranty replacement generally only covers manufacturing faults, which "dropping it" certainly doesn't come under. Do you have the additional accidental damage cover? If so, you'll be OK, but I think you're rather pushing your luck trying to get this replaced under warranty.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
gr8day2b
Lighting the Beacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A warranty replacement generally only covers manufacturing faults, which "dropping it" certainly doesn't come under. Do you have the additional accidental damage cover? If so, you'll be OK, but I think you're rather pushing your luck trying to get this replaced under warranty.
You know, I was wondering about that. It said it doesn't cover "Units requiring replacement of display devices*; Physical abuse; or Misuse or excessive wear" (the asterisk for display devices = * Projection and TV picture tubes, optical blocks, Plasma panels and LCD panels).

So, it doesn't look like it falls under "display devices", but I could be wrong?

I'll follow the earlier advise of getting all over this before it changes. There were all kind of caveats, such as "will contact you with a quote if it needs more work", etc.

I will pursue this quickly, and will report back what they were able or refused to do.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
This is exactly why I buy the accident coverage. My wife has a tendency to test the laws of physics with any electronics we have. Good luck!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
gr8day2b
Lighting the Beacon!

Wrapped / Rolled Screen Problem Resolved!

Great news! (for me at least ).

I was about to send my broken reader back to Sony to see if I could have a refurbished replacement for the $29 (as stated on their site per their Customer Care tool).

Then, I thought, "Hmmm...I did buy this locally...wonder if they'd be willing to give me a replacement?"

Drum Roll Please.......Yes sir-ee!

I took the busted reader to the bookstore I bought it at four months ago, explained how it broke, and they gave me a replacement! WooT! WooT!

Now I just have to figure out how to set it up. Any thougths on that? I'm charging it now, and I figure "authorizing" this new device on the Sony website is the next step.